The ultimate budget paint job thread /w pics (rustoleum paint) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2011, 07:44 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The ultimate budget paint job thread /w pics (rustoleum paint)

i already have the metalic blue and sliver paint for the car but since winter is just about here and i plan on driving the car threw the winter i didnt want salt on the fresh paint .i decided to do the ultimate budget paint job on it till the summer/springtime.

total cost is about 60 bucks for the whole car

the paint im using is rustoleum in a can mixed 1:1 with pure mineral spirits and applied with a high density foam roller.

most ppl need about 6 coats to cover good and if done right u cant tell the difference of it being rustoleum vs automotive paint

these were shot after the first coat with no wetsanding or buffing, though i need to hit it with a 1500grit wetsand before i put the next coat on which will be in about 2 hours.

if done right the paint will have a mirror like shine, this is my first time trying thi and i was skeptical about doing it but i figured for 50 bucks why not give it a shot. the paint is deffintly glossy as u can see below

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2011, 08:04 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Boy!!!! Your leaving yourself wide open for this...
Old 11-21-2011, 08:15 PM

Last photo:

oh i know i am, but ive read all the threads on various sites about this budget paint job, and for what im doing it fits the bill perfectly, i only needs it to last the winter to protect the body from the road salts etc till i can restrip the car and have a real paint job done.

the car was supposed to be finished 2 months ago and gone out to paint already but it took me longer then expected to get the twin turbo motor built and running, and i really dont want my car painted with exspensive paint just to be driven around in the snow and salt without having enough time to harden/cure.
so for me this was the perfect alternative for the winter season
Old 11-21-2011, 08:22 PM
MOPAR Guy

Last journal entry: Restoration of my Chrysler
Last photo:

Reminds me of this:

http://blogs.hotrod.com/rustoleum-69...tips-3819.html

I found this link on another forum thread (it was posted by General Martok).

what do u think of Rust-Oleam
Old 11-21-2011, 08:24 PM

Last journal entry: My Last Hot Rod
Last photo:

Rustoleum saved the day

We will see more Rusto- car paint jobs I suspect
Old 11-21-2011, 08:30 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project89
oh i know i am, but ive read all the threads on various sites about this budget paint job, and for what im doing it fits the bill perfectly, i only needs it to last the winter to protect the body from the road salts etc till i can restrip the car and have a real paint job done.

the car was supposed to be finished 2 months ago and gone out to paint already but it took me longer then expected to get the twin turbo motor built and running, and i really dont want my car painted with exspensive paint just to be driven around in the snow and salt without having enough time to harden/cure.
so for me this was the perfect alternative for the winter season

I hear ya !!!!
This topic was here more then once in the past and didn't go over to well..... I hope you have some tough skin... Good luck... Look like it came out OK..
Old 11-21-2011, 08:33 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

To someone like myself (not a painter) it seems that doing this in an epoxy primer would also last through the winter but wouldn't require stripping before the rest of the finish was applied. It wouldn't be shiny like the rustoleum, but is a couple months of shiny instead of satin worth having to entirely strip it?

This seems like a no-brainer, so what am I missing?
Old 11-21-2011, 08:36 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
I hear ya !!!!
This topic was here more then once in the past and didn't go over to well..... I hope you have some tough skin... Good luck... Look like it came out OK..
oh i do lol, the way i look at it its my car my money ill do what i want with it.
i can take the good with the bad no problem.

the more the paint dries the more it flatens out and the more glossy it gets, i honestly didnt expect it to look like it does, im pretty impressed with it but its not something i will leave on the car.also it would look better if i had better lighting and i didnt forget to close my heater vent on the porch when i started the first coat since it blew some dirt/dust out of the vent onto the hood when the heater came on .
its nothing that wont wetsand out before the next coat though.

i have 2 gallons of a nice deep metalic blue and silver sitting here for the real paint job this spring 1 gallon of each.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:39 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
To someone like myself (not a painter) it seems that doing this in an epoxy primer would also last through the winter but wouldn't require stripping before the rest of the finish was applied. It wouldn't be shiny like the rustoleum, but is a couple months of shiny instead of satin worth having to entirely strip it?

This seems like a no-brainer, so what am I missing?
i dont have anyplace to spray my car or even an air compressor or hvlp spray gun.the stripping wont bother me at all come spring, few cases of beer and invite some friends over to help and it wont take long to do

had i had the right stuff to spray the car id prolly have used an epoxy primer and sealer on it instead
Old 11-21-2011, 08:45 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

No tools IS a problem. So does that mean you're going to roll the "good stuff" come spring?
Old 11-21-2011, 08:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
No tools IS a problem. So does that mean you're going to roll the "good stuff" come spring?
NO WAY, i have a body shop here in town that does older cars and does really nice work, they will be spraying the car for me come spring time
Old 11-21-2011, 09:35 PM

Last journal entry: Paint
Last photo:

$60.00 worth of paint and hundreds of hours of labor. They never mention how much labor is involved. Quit while you are ahead. Rustoleum can stay soft for months. Wait until you have to sand the car down again when you put some real paint on it and you will see. For another $40 you could put some cheap urethane on it that will last for years. Take a guess how much sand paper you are going to go through when you have to sand it down for real paint.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:58 PM

Last photo:

You know why you never see them mentioning using a spray gun when putting on Rustoleum from the quarts or gallons? Load some up in a spray gun and give it a shot. You won't have any control on how the paint will go on. You can get sags and runs. Then you have soft paint that needs to be removed and you will be back to square one. It will clog your sand paper fast.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:28 PM

Last photo:

You can go right over the top on the paint you have on your car now if it's not too bad. That won't be happening once that Rustoleum is on the whole car. You can find AE or Urethane all day long for less than $100 if you want cheap paint. You can rent a paint booth. The difference is you are only spraying it on one time, not applying it over and over again.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:05 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8&4spd
You know why you never see them mentioning using a spray gun when putting on Rustoleum from the quarts or gallons? Load some up in a spray gun and give it a shot. You won't have any control on how the paint will go on. You can get sags and runs. Then you have soft paint that needs to be removed and you will be back to square one. It will clog your sand paper fast.
You can spray it out a gun... I use to build trailers and I would buy the professional rustoleum by the gallon. It tell's you to thin it with acetone to shoot it out a gun.... Work's good .... I also did a frame once and added a wet look hardener to it and it came out very nice.. Still gone strong 16 years later.. And the trailers as well... I didn't add the hardener on the trailers..

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.