Un doing a smoothed out ride... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2013, 02:54 PM
Change is Opportunity!

Last journal entry: ( Chop Um-Up ) 1947 Plymouth Sedan Chop
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Un doing a smoothed out ride...

Ive been thinking about dragging out the High School ride and getting her road worthy again. I'm embarrassed as heck to even admit this but it was my first car in 1972 when I took it from my dad as soon as I could. LOL Its a 30 Model A Coupe and Im 57 years young. The car burned to the ground a week before I left into the Air Force in May of 1980. I cocooned it and stored it for years as it was just too much of a project to build it all over again. In the mid 80's I chopped it and put a 327 engine in it as well as smoothed things like door handles, fuel fillers, filled in the roof, etc. About that time life happened and it went back into storage till now. the color is hideous tortoise blue which was in fashion 30 years ago! LOL Long story short I want to go backwards and re install the door handles, fuel filler, and maybe even screw a Naugahyde square back on the roof. I cut in a fuel tank filler door to feed the under body gas tanks so I think that is going to stay for now but was thinking about gluing a fuel filler spout back on in the original locations? As well screwing some door handles back on it in the locked position and still use the electric door poppers. Glad I didn't shave the hinges like I was going to do. LOL What do ya think... Stupid idea or understandable? trends change and I really wish I would of kept the flathead in it now.

Advertisement

Last edited by Metal Twister; 04-25-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2013, 03:41 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,169 Times in 1,031 Posts
Neat story! You want opinions? Ok, I think the car is neat and would suggest you freshen it up the way it is. If I were to change it I wouldn't have a fake fuel filler and door handle that is for sure. Now me personally, I don't like the electric doors at all, not on this car. And in that case I would put the handles back on because I dig the vintage twisting handles to get it. Watch American Graffiti again to get with it.

The fuel filler on the cowl, I just wouldn't think a thing of it, a huge majority of Model A's have it removed (I would think a majority) and it looks great, the filler is kinda odd there anyway, gets in the way of the look. The filler on the side, I am not a big fan of them but that looks very nice and well done, I'd probably not think a thing of it unless I got hell bent on a completely different theme like early fifties hot rod or something.

But just to make a nice hot rod, it could be left just as it is with new paint and what not and drive the wheels off.

Brian
Old 04-25-2013, 04:08 PM

Last photo:

I`m with them, put the door handles back on and run with it, engne sill not to late to drop a flathead back in, say a `53 merc flathead... cool story and a nice ride.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:44 PM
Change is Opportunity!

Last photo:

Thanks guys... Think Im going to keep it simple and stupid. probably keep the Tunnel Ram and Powerglide only because I built it some 30 years ago and its still never been turned over. Whats the ole saying "Never buy a Hot Rod Builders Hot Rod". Time and energy for everyone ride but mine. LOL Thanks for the advice I agree.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:27 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Looks like a lotta work ....How bout I take it off your hands...
Old 04-26-2013, 07:47 AM
Change is Opportunity!

Last photo:

Next generation has already called Dibs on it.... Sorry. At this rate he will probably be finishing it up as his retirement project!

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.