Hot Rod Forum banner

under carpet foam padding needed any tips?

8K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  rohrt 
#1 · (Edited)
hi guys I was working on my car and ordered up some dynamat extreme to do floors etc.

now the problem I have is I like to add come cushion foam pad back over the dynamat. but the dynaliner stuff is like $100 bucks for only 54x32"

I need 4 sections of 46x56"

I am not playing to spend 400 bucks to do this.

what I am after is something that won't hold moisture I don't care for heat or sound proofing

any help would be great

:thumbup:

See less See more
#4 ·
hi guys I was working on my car and ordered up some dynamat extreme to do floors etc.

now the problem I have is I like to add come cushion foam pad back over the dynamat. but the dynaliner stuff is like $100 bucks for only 54x32"

I need 4 sections of 46x56"

I am not playing to spend 400 bucks to do this.

what I am after is something that won't hold moisture I don't care for heat or sound proofing

any help would be great

:thumbup:

Where is this going that you don't want it to hold moisture? Is it in an enclosed area?

#5 ·
floor pans. the factory used a carpet style of sound proofing and it would add a smell etc.

after doing some reading I decided a yoga mat would be perfect

same thickness and a rubber foam material.

I have to cut few areas to place on floor. now the question is what kind of glue to use to glue in place intop of the dynamat. I know I can prob just drop it in with no glue but would prefer to put a little so it does not more when carpet is in
maybe a urethane would do

#6 ·
I really like Thermozite products for floor padding. Using something not intended for what you are using it for may be cheaper, but not in the long run. You use the same kind of contact adhesive used for any car interior, which is high heat resistant spray grade top and trim contact adhesive like DAP or 3-M. You don't need a lot, just in areas that the padding won't lay down easily. Same thing goes for the carpet.

#7 ·
Funny I was looking at those yoga mats at one time too. I had the same concern as other about them holding water or trapping water under them. Not sure about how well the foam holds back noise but considering its basically the same material used to make can cozies it would bet it does great as a insulator.

That Thermozite looks to just be a foil backed Jute. I read a tone on radiant heat and the use of foiled products. It didn't seam like there was any benefit without an air space. I'm sure there is no downside either.

I purchased a anti-fatigue floor mat from sears and used it in my trunk. I was considering using it on the vehicle floorboards, but chickened out at the end. Kind of serves a multipurpose. keeps things from sliding around and insulates noise and heat a bit in the convertible. Some small spills have just beaded up on top so I think it would have made a pretty good insulation on the floors. It was 1/4 thick and being a anti-fatigue mate it won't break down like lesser foam products with foot traffic. It cost around $25 and a person would need two for a car floor.

I really think you can't do much better then a cover of Dynomax or Damplifier pro and some kind of insulation on top. Whether it be jute, Thermozite or some kind of good foam that won't absorb water. I would like to try the lizzard skin spray as some point.

For my 64, I have bad floor pans and since I may replace them at some point in the future I only used a few sheets of damplifier here and there followed by a set of factory tar mats then the carpet with the sew on jute backing. Not high dollar and I was happy with the change the factory tar mats provided.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.