Hot Rod Forum banner

Under Coating

934 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  kenseth17 
#1 ·
I have a 53 Chevy 150 2 dr. sd. I need to clean the bottom side of the floor pan. What is the best method of removing the old undercoating? I have the body on a rotisserie.

#5 ·
I solved my under-coating problem. I used an hammer with a chisel blade. I didn't use a lot of pressure as to cut or dent the floor pans. I vibrated most of it off in fairly large pieces. Some areas I had to use more of a slanting method. It was a respirator job with ear plugs but it took me only one day or about 6 hours of steady work. The results we better than I had expected. Thanks to all who had thoughts on this matter.

#6 ·
I had to strip the underside of a hood to paint, and whoever painted the car who knows when before instead of properly painting the underside the new color or using a black out paint, thought undercoating was the quick and dirty way they would do it. What a mess. The way that ended up working the best for me when I tried taking it off was using kerosene outside in a ventilated area and scraping with a putty knife. Still real messy. Once the bulk was cleaned off, I finished up using lacquer thinner and sanding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.