Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Suspension - Brakes - Steering (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/suspension-brakes-steering/)
-   -   Under floor master cylinder (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/under-floor-master-cylinder-232752.html)

rustman 05-10-2013 09:00 PM

Under floor master cylinder
 
1 Attachment(s)
Hello. I have a power brake master cylinder mounted under the floor. Mine is mounted backwards as I think most are. Both reservoir are the same size. I am running disc's in front and drums in rear. Mounted in that position, is the reservoir closest to the vacuum booster for the front or the rear brakes? I know that normally the big reservoir is for the disc's but as I said they are equal size. Thank you.

RWENUTS 05-11-2013 09:08 AM

The back one (closest to the booster) is usually for the front brakes.

rustman 05-11-2013 12:19 PM

Another question. Can a brake master cylinder with with equal sized reservoirs be used for discs in the front and drums on the rear?

NEW INTERIORS 05-11-2013 12:29 PM

That master cylinder look's to be for disc/disc set up.. The port's shouldn't matter, But I would be more concerned about it being for Disc/Drum..

NEW INTERIORS 05-11-2013 01:12 PM

Forgot to ask, Or you have some kind of trouble with it ???

Here's a little more about the brakes..
Which Master Cylinder Is For Me?


rustman 05-11-2013 05:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Good video. Thanks. I have had my 36 Ford truck on the road now for 118 miles and just figured out that I don't have any rear brakes. If you are right, that the back reservoir closest to the vacuum booster is for the front discs then I have it plumbed backwards. Bummer.

NEW INTERIORS 05-11-2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustman (Post 1674884)
Good video. Thanks. I have had my 36 Ford truck on the road now for 118 miles and just figured out that I don't have any rear brakes. If you are right, that the back reservoir closest to the vacuum booster is for the front discs then I have it plumbed backwards. Bummer.

I really don't see where it would matters on that MC..I think you have another problem..

RatPin 05-12-2013 05:16 PM

I have the same MS and res closest to booster is for front. My problem is no brake pressure bled and bled again. No air in lines but pedal goes to floor with engine running. Nobody seems to have an answer.

RWENUTS 05-12-2013 06:08 PM

What's your pedal ratio Ratpin?
Usually 6 to 1 for non power and 4.5 to 1 for power assist.

RatPin 05-13-2013 01:20 PM

My ratio is 6:1 with booster, but this all came as a kit with the booster so why would it have an incorrect ratio? And what are the ill effects of usung this in a power assist sytem? My problem is that no matter how I adjust it I dont get pedal pressure.

swvalcon 05-13-2013 07:01 PM

If it's a disk disk master and your trying to run drums with it you need a residual valve on the drum side to work right.

RatPin 05-13-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RatPin (Post 1675089)
I have the same MS and res closest to booster is for front. My problem is no brake pressure bled and bled again. No air in lines but pedal goes to floor with engine running. Nobody seems to have an answer.

After doing some research for my brake problem (see other thread) I have realized that in most diagrams I see that the way they plummed the combination valve is how you described yours. Closest res to the booster is for the rear brakes and the other is for the front.

Someone said it does not matter but can anyone confirm this before I go buying and bending new brake lines to plum it like I described above?

NEW INTERIORS 05-13-2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RatPin (Post 1675370)
After doing some research for my brake problem (see other thread) I have realized that in most diagrams I see that the way they plummed the combination valve is how you described yours. Closest res to the booster is for the rear brakes and the other is for the front.

Someone said it does not matter but can anyone confirm this before I go buying and bending new brake lines to plum it like I described above?

Might be to late to make this post now,,, The OP might have cut up his lines by now..:nono:

Before making a post telling him one way, Make sure before you have someone doing something for nothing.... Didn't mean to come off as a hard *****..;)

Just saving someone a lot of work for nothing..;)

st3gamefarm 05-15-2013 06:04 PM

Buddy has similar trouble with his '57 Olds. May be plumbed backward.

Pedal to the floor with vacuum assist. but seems to have brakes (driving 'round the parkin' lot).
Not certian of the ratio, but I thought it strange. I don't know If I would want to take it on the road that way.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.