Under the skin of a "show car". - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2014, 08:37 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged03 View Post
The work looks bad compared to what can be done today with MIG and TIG, but this looks like it might have been done with a cracker box and 6010 rods.

Assuming the builder/body man did not have MIG or TIG at his disposal, was this work really bad for the time?

Wasn't having loads of filler on the customs of the 50's and 60's the reason they were called 'lead sleds'?
I believe it was the lead filler they used in the seams where panels were welded together. It was before my time so I could be wrong......

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2014, 05:57 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

bodymen have been loading em up like that even back in the lead days...theres good ones and not so good ones ....this is what you get when people think PAINT is everything and are willing to spare no expense when it comes to paint but ***** and moan about the cost and time it takes to do a quality job ...what I see is this was most likely done by an old wore out bodyman ,sick and tired of all the BS involved in doing a quality job that just didn't care any more....
If you guys think these aftermarket panels are junk these days then you should have seen them back in the 80's especially the 1st gen Camaros so how the heck are supposed to do a nice job when you start off with junk ?add to that the shop shaving your time down and this is what you get (a painted lady) that looks good all done up but get em home and in the morning in a different light they don't even look close to what you thought you had so you chew your arm off quietly.
I see this kind of work all the time but it makes you wonder WHY?
Who's actually responsible ....bottom line, its the shop, not the bodyman.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:03 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Some of the work looks like an attempt to gas weld. Shops back in the day did not have mig and tig welders, way too expensive for many. I am not sure when these welders came available but when I was a kid in the 70's we gas welded most everything, rivets in some places, anything to fix rust out quickly and economically. Last long? Nothing lasted long in the Great Lakes area very long. I once patched quarter panels on a 73 Impala, soft ball sized holes, the car was 2 years old. I think we charged around a hundred bucks, 2-3 holes, both sides, in the quarters, rivets and bondo. touch up with a pint of lacquer, see ya next year.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:21 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,165 Times in 1,027 Posts
I first used a MIG at a full on restoration shop in the late seventies. I bought one for my shop that I opened in '82 around '84 or '85 I was NOT going to live without one. But before I did, yep I gas welded a number of quarter panels on. But I also welded patch panels in. Never ever worked anywhere leaving something like the bottom of this Camaro door under the bondo! Pulling dents with a slid hammer and filling it, sure, that was the method of the day. But the bottom of this door is inexcusable!

Brian
Old 05-02-2014, 08:37 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
bodymen have been loading em up like that even back in the lead days...theres good ones and not so good ones ....this is what you get when people think PAINT is everything and are willing to spare no expense when it comes to paint but ***** and moan about the cost and time it takes to do a quality job ...what I see is this was most likely done by an old wore out bodyman ,sick and tired of all the BS involved in doing a quality job that just didn't care any more....
If you guys think these aftermarket panels are junk these days then you should have seen them back in the 80's especially the 1st gen Camaros so how the heck are supposed to do a nice job when you start off with junk ?add to that the shop shaving your time down and this is what you get (a painted lady) that looks good all done up but get em home and in the morning in a different light they don't even look close to what you thought you had so you chew your arm off quietly.
I see this kind of work all the time but it makes you wonder WHY?
Who's actually responsible ....bottom line, its the shop, not the bodyman.
I was thinking the same thing. At this shop I try so hard to do the right thing but you're just fighting and fighting and fighting the boss for time to do things right and in the end it just brings stress. This was probably a great way for him to deal with it. When I deal with rust I do a damn good job but the mindset around me and the atmosphere around me is overwhelming and I have doubts because we don't epoxy things right after stripping and people touch the bare metal but if it rusts it's the body man's fault? No, I'm just in the wrong shop and although I try to do the right thing it's not worth the stress to get everyone else in line anymore, but I do still do the right thing to keep myself sharp. Great point you made.

When I did the quarter on that 55 Chevy the boss told me he thought it was an 8 hour job. The guy would snicker when he'd walk by and seeing me mock it up over and over and put pressure on me to get it done. In the end, the metal fabricator (owner) looked for the seam and couldn't find it. When he finally got a little glance of it he couldn't believe it was open butt welded. He was happy. then the boss went around and bragged about it to potential customers wanting quarters. Yeah, wasn't this the guy that was rushing me to just "get it done"?
Old 05-02-2014, 11:36 AM

everybody takes the bodymans credit when it looks good then point at him a few years later when the it don't ....its a bit backwards...so what do you expect ? After a while the guy just slaps sheet together ,cut every corner and actually hopes the dang thing falls apart....because you guys made your own bed now enjoy sleeping in it.
I see guys writing estimates that actually believe they SHOULD get paid more than the bodyman and owners thinking when things get tough short change the bodyman a little more...then theres the ins. co.
I've got an ins.est from 5yr ago and one from this year form the same co. all the body times like remove and replace panels take a lot less time now then they did 5yrs ago ,same car, same fender but now it takes half the time to do. Hmmmm...... paint times are about the same but they are slightly less too ...nevermind 20-30 yrs ago when we actually made a decient living and could afford things like a new car and a house........ so if the shop wants to make the same money as they did last year someone HAS to make less ...guess who....no one cares whats under that nice looking paint job until theres a problem.......so you wonder why theres so many hacks out there? you almost have to be a hack now days just to survive...
I really HATE seeing this kind of work but you better get used to it. the true artists are getting fewer and fewer so this is soon to be the NEW standard....

Last edited by deadbodyman; 05-02-2014 at 11:43 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to deadbodyman For This Useful Post:
tech69 (05-02-2014)
Old 05-02-2014, 12:31 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

yep. a guy brought his car in with all the body work done, just needed paint
this was on the bottom of his door skin, i believe this would be a 16 gallon car

yep...
Old 05-02-2014, 01:20 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

Quote:
everybody takes the bodymans credit when it looks good then point at him a few years later when the it don't ....its a bit backwards...so what do you expect ? After a while the guy just slaps sheet together ,cut every corner and actually hopes the dang thing falls apart....because you guys made your own bed now enjoy sleeping in it.
I see guys writing estimates that actually believe they SHOULD get paid more than the bodyman and owners thinking when things get tough short change the bodyman a little more...then theres the ins. co.
I've got an ins.est from 5yr ago and one from this year form the same co. all the body times like remove and replace panels take a lot less time now then they did 5yrs ago ,same car, same fender but now it takes half the time to do. Hmmmm...... paint times are about the same but they are slightly less too ...nevermind 20-30 yrs ago when we actually made a decient living and could afford things like a new car and a house........ so if the shop wants to make the same money as they did last year someone HAS to make less ...guess who....no one cares whats under that nice looking paint job until theres a problem.......so you wonder why theres so many hacks out there? you almost have to be a hack now days just to survive...
I really HATE seeing this kind of work but you better get used to it. the true artists are getting fewer and fewer so this is soon to be the NEW standard....
exactly why I want to be doing my own thing like you do. you're so right!
Old 05-02-2014, 01:21 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
yep. a guy brought his car in with all the body work done, just needed paint
this was on the bottom of his door skin, i believe this would be a 16 gallon car

yep...
omg, that's a great sculpture of a door piece. Man, I've never see it that thick. WOW!
Old 05-03-2014, 10:32 AM

Last photo:

Brian
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
64SS327 (05-03-2014), NEW INTERIORS (05-04-2014)
Old 05-03-2014, 01:54 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

hahahahaha. I should email this to the boss. Good stuff.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:08 PM

Last photo:

I got that from the full on resto shop I worked at in the 70's and I have to say, we did some SUPER work, real restoration work. I am proud to have worked there and I have been able to tell the owner of that shop many times over the years when I run into him.

Brian
Old 05-04-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
omg, that's a great sculpture of a door piece. Man, I've never see it that thick. WOW!
In have and much worse ...I had a car come in with a big dent in the door I took two days to get it ready for paint and when I was finally done I closed the door and a giant chunk of bondo fell out of the 1/4 ....I just sat there staring in disbelieve at what I was seeing ...The chunk started at the wheel opening and stopped at the edge aprox. 15"x15" ...whoever it was that did it knew exactly what they were doing because it was a good job on the outside but under all that bondo was shiney paint ...he just slapped a half gallon of bondo on it...The funny thing was ,after the shock of seeing that chunk fall on the floor we all started laughing our azzes off...I ended up drilling a hole in it and hanging it up because it also was the shape of Texas....Which got a whole nuther round of laughs including everythings bigger in Texas and Texas style bodywork...We laughed for months on that but I did fix it for free...Its hanging from the shelf to the left of the paint booth window....see it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5869.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	969.5 KB
ID:	142778  
The Following User Says Thank You to deadbodyman For This Useful Post:
tech69 (05-04-2014)
Old 05-04-2014, 09:06 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
In have and much worse ...I had a car come in with a big dent in the door I took two days to get it ready for paint and when I was finally done I closed the door and a giant chunk of bondo fell out of the 1/4 ....I just sat there staring in disbelieve at what I was seeing ...The chunk started at the wheel opening and stopped at the edge aprox. 15"x15" ...whoever it was that did it knew exactly what they were doing because it was a good job on the outside but under all that bondo was shiney paint ...he just slapped a half gallon of bondo on it...The funny thing was ,after the shock of seeing that chunk fall on the floor we all started laughing our azzes off...I ended up drilling a hole in it and hanging it up because it also was the shape of Texas....Which got a whole nuther round of laughs including everythings bigger in Texas and Texas style bodywork...We laughed for months on that but I did fix it for free...Its hanging from the shelf to the left of the paint booth window....see it

Now THAT is damn funny!

Brian
Old 05-04-2014, 07:29 PM

Last photo:

Looks like MIG weld to me.

This is the quarter to upper panel seam that the factory left with seam sealer, you know the one from the trunk lid to the rear window corners?

This is the seam in the quarter splice going vertically from the body line down to the wheel well.

The lighting provided a weird yellow look but they are all of bare metal.

Brian

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.