Hot Rod Forum banner

Undercarbed using Strombergs?

903 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  mitch 36 
#1 ·
I have a bone stock 460 Ford w/ Edelbrock Performer and 650 Holley on my Model T. I was thinking that two Stromberg 48s sitting on top of a 2X2 to 4BBL adapter plate would look pretty nice without getting into countless hundreds of dollars for a new setup. (they don't have a 3x2 to 4BBL adapter)

2 Stromberg 48's would give me a total of 340CFM - and according to my Carb calculator, I need to run at about 550 CFM at 80% volumetric efficiency. Would the engine be too undercarbed to run well using the two Strombergs? Or is this something I can run and just accept a dip in performance? I'm not looking for major performance (otherwise I wouldn't dump the 4BBL) - just want a more unique setup.

Thanks, as always!

#4 ·
or go for a 3x2 setup; unless the 460 is to lug around no higher rpms than that most diesels are well familiar with, the strombergs seem too small considering it's only 340 CFM.

I'd go with otherMatt's suggestion of setting it up as dual 340cfm 2bbls; that should be good to run it to 5000 or so, which is about all a stock 460 is good for- any higher and it'll need head work to take advantage of it.

#5 ·
undercarbed using strombergs

i was running two early holley carbs [3 bolt like strombergs] on my 350 chevy . i used an adapter from 97 heaven. the engine pulled like a raped mule up to about 3500 rpm then it ran out of steam.tuning wasnt a problem as both carbs ran in unison, no progressive linkage involved.i yhink on a v-6 or maybe a 283, it might work ok but no way on a 460.ps fuel milage wasnt that great either.good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.