Undercarraige Paint - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2003, 09:47 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post Undercarraige Paint

I am undergoing my first full restoration of a car. I am getting ready to sandblast the undercarriage of the vehicle, metal wash, and self-etch primer it. It is a uni-body construction, btw. I am starting to look into paint for the undercarraige as well as the engine compartment. I would like to paint the underbody the same color as the vehicle will be, viper GTS blue. What do you guys suggest?

This car will not be used as a daily driver. It will be taken out on nice summer days only, but it will be driven on the road. I want something that will hold up basically, but I don't think it needs the full protection of a rubberized undercoating, etc.

I have been scanning through some posts here and found that a few people recommended just an acrylic urethane paint by PPG. Some seem to have had mixed feelings though about how it will hold up. What are your thoughts?

thank you,
Kevin

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2003, 01:17 PM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

PPG acrylic urethane is a tough paint, but for the undercarriage I'd look into POR-15 then eiither prime and paint or use one of their hardnose paints as a topcoat. They have a blue that may work well. If you just wan some pain't preffereances go with a good urethane paint. PPG, HOK, DuPont or whomever your paint producer choice may be. A polyurethane will hold up best, but Acrylic urethane is a close second. Check the Knowledge Base exsterior section for a tech sheet on paint types.

HK
Old 03-21-2003, 11:39 AM

Last photo:

Sorry for the delay in the reply but I really appreciate the info. I haven't been able to research this much in the past few weeks but am starting to get involved again.

My only concern with the acrylic urethane is I heard they have a toxic smell. I will be painting in my garage which is in my split level home (basically the garage is right under my bedroom). I do currently have a temporary room lined with 4 mil plastic around the car because I am currently sandblasting it and it works great to contain the sand and prevent my full garage from becoming one big sandbox. I will change out the plastic with new fresh stuff for the paint but don't know if it will be enough to prevent the fumes from entering my home.

kev
Old 03-21-2003, 11:53 AM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

Kev, unless that room is airtight, the smell will get everywhere. Have a huge blower fan suck out the fumes and shoot them outside. you can rent them. Urethanes have a nasty smell from application date untill fully cured. The additives in the paint evaporate through the surface leaving a hard paint coat behind. (This is why you shouldn't wax or coat with anything for a month) As these additives evaporate the paint finish will smell untill the gasses all evaprate out. After curing time there won't be anymore smell.

HK
Old 03-21-2003, 01:14 PM
Aspiring eccentric

Last photo:

If you're not doing a real resoration and perfect color matching isn't an issue, you might want to consider as goofy as it sounds, farm inpliment paint.

This stuff, available at places like Quality Farm and Fleet and Tractor Supply stores is DURABLE! My brother turned me on to it. He lives three miles off a blacktop highway on gravel roads. He shot his street rod under carriage with QF&F black well over three years ago and it still shines. This sruff makes Imron look like watercolor paint. The only real down side is they only make typical farm colors, like John Deere green, International Havester Red and so on. And it's cheap too, like $30 a gallon. Look into it.

Lee
Old 03-21-2003, 04:06 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

I did some metal replacement on the track roller covers on my D 3 Cat and went to Catapillar to get their yellow paint. Gallon was minimum quantity sold and I screamed until I learned it was only $34.95 per gal. It has been on there for a year and there is not a scratch and the tracks have been half burried many times. Read the label and you don't even have to use primer!!! I was going to spray my new floorboards with it until my Bud talked me out of it (going to coat with ruberized undercoating any way).

Trees
Old 03-25-2003, 08:58 AM

Last photo:

Thanks again for the replies. I will look into that tractor paint. This car is under full restoration and I want it to look as good as possible but the car isn't anything really special. It is an 87 Chrysler Conquest btw. It means more to me than anyone else.

Due to the shell just sitting on jackstands only with everything else completely stripped, it makes it difficult to spray the undercarraige in an alternate location. However I think I can handle the smell if it only is around until the paint dries. I will just keep the windows open in the house, ventilate the garage as you guys mentioned, keep the plastic makeshift paint room, and basically have my wife stay out of the house until it is cured. But what it sounds like you are saying is that the paint will smell for up to 6 weeks? That is not a problem in my garage but I don't want my full house to smell for that period of time.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.