Undercoating: Is it done on new cars? Can you do it yourself? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2011, 11:14 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Undercoating: Is it done on new cars? Can you do it yourself?

Do most or all new cars/trucks come with undercoating? Can you do it yourself, or can you buy cans or containers of it? How well does it work, and have any of you who built your own Hot Rods undercoated them? How long does it last and how much does it cost?

I think that there used to be a national chain of aftermarket undercoating centers where you'd go and pay them to undercoat your car or truck, but I dont remember the name of the place.....

One of the biggest problems with aging cars is obviously rust from below, like under fenders, frames, rockers, floorboards, trunks, etc. So maybe a good, fairly inexpensive undercoat would help prevent all that rust.....

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2011, 02:34 PM

Last photo:

undercoating

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometCyclone
Do most or all new cars/trucks come with undercoating? Can you do it yourself, or can you buy cans or containers of it? How well does it work, and have any of you who built your own Hot Rods undercoated them? How long does it last and how much does it cost?

I think that there used to be a national chain of aftermarket undercoating centers where you'd go and pay them to undercoat your car or truck, but I dont remember the name of the place.....

One of the biggest problems with aging cars is obviously rust from below, like under fenders, frames, rockers, floorboards, trunks, etc. So maybe a good, fairly inexpensive undercoat would help prevent all that rust.....
Guys with street rods/hot rods, don't undercoat, they just paint their cars if they a body off build. Undercoating a car after it's been on the road and driven has rust starting on it from the get go, by undercoating you are just covering up the rust.

I would not buy a car with undercoating on it just because I could not see what the metal looks like. If you have a car that isn't undercoated just leave it, as it won't help anything. Clean it as good as you can, replace any rusty bolts and nuts, and paint over them. Others will tell you other things, it is all good. Also most people don't drive their rods in the winter where there is bad weather, so they don't get the salt on them.

Bob
Old 06-08-2011, 06:33 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Ziebart and RustCheck used to be the undercoating companies.....

It made a new car a gooey mess for a while....I guess it worked to an extent.

Budget RVs
Old 06-08-2011, 07:45 PM
Blown 502

Last photo:

AS said it just hides the rust BUT IT WORKS GREAT
My experience with it is it last as long as I ever kept anything.

One of my old Built Lightnings was a real mess when I got it, I truly believe the original owner NEVER ONCE washed or waxed it. And obviously drove it in sand salt and god knows what else. The day I registered it I went over to my buddys house with some rubber coated spray can stuff I found in Auto Zone and in an hour or two it made the world of difference....

I would imagine if you took your time it would REALLY come out good

I used THIS
Old 06-09-2011, 01:10 PM

Last photo:

undercoating

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetRob
AS said it just hides the rust BUT IT WORKS GREAT
My experience with it is it last as long as I ever kept anything.

One of my old Built Lightnings was a real mess when I got it, I truly believe the original owner NEVER ONCE washed or waxed it. And obviously drove it in sand salt and god knows what else. The day I registered it I went over to my buddys house with some rubber coated spray can stuff I found in Auto Zone and in an hour or two it made the world of difference....

I would imagine if you took your time it would REALLY come out good

I used THIS
Rob did you clean all that rust off before undercoating or just undercoat over it. If you just went over it the rust is still eating away, the undercoating just makes it look good, it doesn't stop the rust. That's why I would not buy a car that was undercoated, people use it to hide rust, Most rodders I know would just clean the rust off and paint, yes paint will hide rust too, but you can see the bubbles under the paint where undercoating is much thicker.

Bob
Old 06-09-2011, 05:23 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35terraplane
Guys with street rods/hot rods, don't undercoat, they just paint their cars if they a body off build. Undercoating a car after it's been on the road and driven has rust starting on it from the get go, by undercoating you are just covering up the rust.

I would not buy a car with undercoating on it just because I could not see what the metal looks like. If you have a car that isn't undercoated just leave it, as it won't help anything. Clean it as good as you can, replace any rusty bolts and nuts, and paint over them. Others will tell you other things, it is all good. Also most people don't drive their rods in the winter where there is bad weather, so they don't get the salt on them.

Bob

Yeah, I agree that covering up rust with undercoating doesnt get rid of the rust thats already there, but I'd think that by covering the rust, and preventing additional air and moisture from getting to it, that you'd stop any additional rusting from happening, and prevent any new rust forming....No?
Old 06-09-2011, 06:20 PM

Last photo:

undercoating

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometCyclone
Yeah, I agree that covering up rust with undercoating doesnt get rid of the rust thats already there, but I'd think that by covering the rust, and preventing additional air and moisture from getting to it, that you'd stop any additional rusting from happening, and prevent any new rust forming....No?
Au contraire, mon ami! The rust continues; undercoating does not make it air tight.

Bob
Old 06-10-2011, 06:16 PM

Last photo:

New car manufacturers do not recommend undercoating or rustproofing. They have spent billions on metal design and prep to prevent metal rust out, and undercoating/rustproofing just traps moisture and grime that leads to rust forming.
Back in the 70's and 80's, rustproofing helped, since then, not so much.
If you could get a tour of a paint shop at an assembly plant,you'd be suprised at how many different chemical baths and coatings go onto sheet metal before they get any paint at all. The entire vehicle is submerged in these baths to insure that every part gets coated. In addition, a lot of aluminum and galvanized parts are used instead of regular sheet steel.
One of the problems with the old undercoat/rustproofing was that it would plug up the factory drain holes in doors, quarterpanels, and fenders, trapping rain water and accelerating rust. If I see a used car today with undercoating, I suspect its being used to cover up existing damage.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:42 PM
Blown 502

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35terraplane
Rob did you clean all that rust off before undercoating or just undercoat over it. If you just went over it the rust is still eating away, the undercoating just makes it look good, it doesn't stop the rust. That's why I would not buy a car that was undercoated, people use it to hide rust, Most rodders I know would just clean the rust off and paint, yes paint will hide rust too, but you can see the bubbles under the paint where undercoating is much thicker.

Bob
Ya me and my buddy went nuts with scotch brite pads, disc sanders, wires brushes, sand paper, anything we had in our arsenal BEFORE I sprayed the undercoating. As said anytime I've seen it (or used it) it was to hide not prevent. Nothing better than a starting with a clean undercarriage and just giving it a nice coat of paint to protect it (thats what my Nova has)

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.