Underhood air compressor from A/C parts - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2008, 09:50 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Underhood air compressor from A/C parts

Someone wanted some pics of the air compressor made from an A/C pump.

This is one that I put together 25 years ago, still working good.

We ran these only for airing up tires after camping out on the dunes at the beach. We did try a tank but with all 4 tires nearly flat, the tank would run low enough on the 2nd tire to make the clutch kick back on. So there was no real time savings by using a tank. I did like having the tank for other things though, but did not put one on this build.

This A/C pump is an aftermarket unit used on older VW aircooled cars; a small one. The Ford A/C units from 60s 70s would be bigger CFMs. All of these have dual oil filler plugs and you are supposed to use a bent wire to check the oil level. I run motor oil or A/C oil. You need to save the pressure hose & fitting as well as the suction side fitting, so you can clamp a rag over it for an air filter. I use a piece of bath towel with oil on it, held on with a hose clamp.

I ran many beach trucks and never found any oil slime in the tires, but you can see oil film on the fittings & coupler.

Back then, there were shops that installed aftermarket A/C on used cars. They had a "mount & drive kit", that only had a mounting bracket, an idler pulley, a crank pulley and a belt. I tried one for a SBC, but it was hard to check the P/S oil due to their bracket.

I made my own for the other side of the engine. A simple rectangular 1/4" plate with slotted holes for adjusting the belt (no idler). Then a small flat bracket at the front to tie into the water pump holes & alt main bolt. Then a J shaped bracket on the back to fit the accessory holes on the cyl head. ALL 3 parts are welded together. Motor is a 400 Chevy small block with long water pump.

You can see some of the rear J bracket here..

Then there is the fitting stand that holds: the compressor clutch shutoff switch from an old air compressor, a safety blowoff valve *(a must have, IMO)., an air chuck. These are all mounted to a galv fitting welded to a plate shaped to fit the inner fender, or whatever. On this one, I had a plastic fitting from a portable air tank, so the galv tee is not really being used here. You could run another air line from a remote tank on the underside, and hook to that Tee.

Bear in mind that these pumps are very low CFMs, but they will do simple jobs.like tires or whatever else. I really wanted to add an idle solenoid to race the engine, but never did. I always had a helper to throttle up

It's something that I wish I had on all my cars. You don't use it every week, but it sure was handy.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2008, 06:17 AM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Inginuity at it's finest. Thanks for posting.

In a while, Chet.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:47 AM

Last photo:

Here's some more info for anyone looking to do something like this: http://coloradok5.com/york.shtml
They are using a York 210 A/C compressor in that link, but the most important thing to look for when choosing an A/C compressor is to find one that has it's own, separate oil supply/sump. The York compressors fit that bill, as well as the Mopar RV2 compressors. There are probably other compressors that would work, but I am not sure of which ones. I am in the hunting/gathering process of setting this up myself (gonna be using an RV2 compressor), but am still a ways away from completing it.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:21 PM
Ask me, Cause I don't know

Last journal entry: Need things to do.
Last photo:

Hook up the intake to one of those small cheap chrome air filters. One of the PCV or valve cover breather ones should work too. I would go with the little chrome filters with a wash out filters.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:56 PM
Squido

Last wiki edit: How to get specific belt sizes for custom applicat...
Wiki Edits: 3

I've seen a similar setup where they tapped the intake into the bottom of the air cleaner. Worked pretty slick.
Squido

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.