Underhood Black - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2006, 10:36 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Underhood Black

Hey folks I just bought a can of Duplicolor low gloss black from Advance Auto Parts and it was a perfect match on my 69 Camaro firewall and metal dash! I mean to tell you it matched the factory perfect! I can not tell the factory from the Duplicolor spray! Before finding this I used Eastwood's underhood black and was not happy! The color and gloss was right but the product was not good! I let the Eastwood stuff dry for over a week before painting my pillar post in body color! Green 3m masking lifted it and don't wipe it with anything because it rubs off! Now the Duplicolor spray is the high temp enamel and I did the same with it and it was ok! Just thought I would share that with you all!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2006, 05:51 AM

Last photo:

paint

Another good one is Krylon semi-gloss black. It looks great and it is high quality paint. Krylon dries super fast too. I get it at Wal-Mart.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:59 AM

Last photo:

I tried both the Dupli-Color and Kylon and as you say they are a perfect match, this works good for interior parts however the results under the hood was not so good. While it looked good at first it seems that once it gets dirty, even dusty, it stays that way and nothing I could do would clean it back to it's original appearance. After trying this several times I became frustrated with the dull (no longer simi-flat) and just plain dirty looking surface so I removed this stuff and sprayed the under hood area with black epoxy. The epoxy does not look like the semi-flat black but in my opinion it looks good, is very durable and easy to keep clean.

I also did not like the Eastwood underhood black or any of the Eastwood detail paints. I bought several such as the Cast Blast, Silver Cad, Underhood Black and Aluma-Blast but instead of a well detailed look everything came out looking like cheaply painted parts and was anything but well detailed.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.