underhood flat black - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2005, 02:44 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

underhood flat black

I went to my dupont dealer and asked him give me some single stage urethane for under hood and he gave me dupont chrome and basemaker and said if I dont clear it it will be not shiny. is that ok to use this paint without clear and when I asked him if I need hardner he said no. is that so?
Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2005, 06:36 PM

Last photo:

chromabase must be cleared.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:09 PM

Last photo:

Yeah take it back tell him he's stupid and to give you some centari acrylic enamel or chroma one acrylic urethane and a can of flattener.You can add flattener to it and get any gloss level you want. Chromabase will not hold up.If you get gas or aoil or even wipe it with any kind of cleaner it will come right off.Krylon would be better than chromabase with no clear.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:48 PM

Last photo:

Can you guys tell me what I should get from PPG dealer. I dont want to deal with that guy. Obviously he does not know what he sells. I will just return the base maker and done with it.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:10 PM

Last photo:

ppg's line is omni is there lowest line, in that line there is a single stage (no clear is needed) acrylic enamel, a single stage acrylic urethane, and also a basecoat clearcoat system (mbc) which like the chromabase needs a clear.
The deltron line is a higher line then the omni, and they also have global. There are a lot of different paints to choose from, depending on your expectations. For something like under hood I would just use the omni acrylic enamel, with a hardener, and if you don't want gloss then add some flattener to the paint like shoddy said. Visit ppg.com and find the auto refinish section for more information on the use of their products. Also you can find some information on the different lines at autocolorlibrary.com. If you have a question about a certain product just ask here, and someone will help you out. You never know what you are going to get at a paint supplier, some are very knowledgeable and up to date on the products and others don't know jack. The store I go to has two guys that have been there since I started in the trade in the early 90's that I can pretty much trust what
they say, but they also have some others working there that I really don't trust. There is nothing wrong with dupont either, he just gave you the wrong product for your application. Something like dupont nason, or Centari is a lower priced paint that would work well for underhood, or if matching the exterior and want good gloss and longevity then the chromabase with a clear on top would be a good choice, It depends on your expectations and budget.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:19 PM

Last photo:

If you're going with PPG I'd get Concept singlestage black and have them mix in the desired amount of flattener. Your jobber will have a mix ratio for different amounts of flattness. Explain to them what you want, eggshell, satin, flat.... The Concept accepts flattener really well and is a very durable paint that's fairly easy to spray. Bob

Concept DCC
Old 09-14-2005, 10:22 PM

You can use PPG's Concept DCC Urethane single stage Black mixed with their DX685 flattening agent. The mix ratios are listed in the P-sheet P-162. Your PPG dealer will have the P-sheet and it's available online as well.

For instance, eggshell, 20-30% gloss is mixed 1qt DBC, 23 oz DX685, 16 oz hardener.

You'll need to keep the paint thoroughly stirred and agitated since the flattener settles out.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:27 PM
I am the Antirice

Last photo:

Interesting this comes up, today I actually painted my chevelles underhood area and flat black also. I used some of NAPA's cross/fire acrylic enamel, just told him to mix up some kind of chassis black, or something with lots of flattening agent in it. It was cheap too, only 21.93 for a quart of it, already had plenty of the reducer and hardener at the shop, but they're cheap too, and you dont need much of either, it's a 8:4:1 mix. I took a pic of it, should of waited a bit longer for it to dry and took the pic then, it ended up turning out really nice. But I had to get home, it was 8pm.....past dinner time

Old 09-16-2005, 08:55 PM

flat black

Hey Guys
I have been reading alot about John Deere black.
I checked it out and got some further advice theat worked like a dream.
Take one quart Rustolem flat or saten black mix 50% lacquare thinner and three ounces of mineral spirits. What a great finish soft looking protective
and smooth.
I liked it enough that last week I did my whole pick up. It turned out great.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:52 PM

Last photo:

I ended up using Dupont again. It is chroma premier single stage and turned out great. Thanks for advice and warnings.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.