Underhood paint idea? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2006, 12:29 PM

Last journal entry: Free tires
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Underhood paint idea?

Saw a car at the show, had the underhood done in Rino liner type stuff. Looked strange at first, but after awhile it wasn't half bad. Definitely different.
He'd done the radiator support, inner fenders, firewall and underside of the hood.
Gave it a strange textured look. Made the engine compartment look small but the engine really stood out against it.

Da,da,da,daaaaa! Just noticed, my 100th post.

Advertisement

Last edited by 428ho; 09-22-2006 at 12:49 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2006, 09:55 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

I prefer body color under hood
Old 09-23-2006, 08:38 AM

Last photo:

HO,
I was in a shop a couple of years ago in SC and they had built a 50 ford pickup the had a 460 in the truck and they had sprayed bedliner in the whole inside of the engine compartment and next day painted it with base clear pearl white to match the rest of the truck.

Man did it look good!

Last edited by BarryK; 09-23-2006 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:56 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,220 Times in 1,076 Posts
I have to assume the rad support was all bolted in with the inner fenders and such? I would think that would look pretty hoky. If they were apart and well detailed the texture if not too heavy would work nice. But that stuff is sooooo thick I have never seen it applied thin enough where you could "paint" something with it and then bolt it together.

The build up would be so much that it would be like the parts "grew" a quarter inch! The masking and trimming of the parts would he horrendous!

I'm with painting it body color or black.

If you sand blast these "hard parts" like the rad support, inner fenders and the like and then epoxy prime them, and SS black urethane paint or body color is applied right over them they look pretty good.

But really, when you do something like an inner fender or rad support on something that is really special like a well detailed rod, you have to, well.....detail them. That rad support needs a lot of sanding to smooth off all the sharp edges from the dies that stamped out the pieces, clean it up prior to sandblasting and epoxy prime it and you really have a nice looking piece. The innerfenders, those may require more. Again, smooth out the burrs and stuff off the edges of holes and what not by sanding them or using a 3M Roloc "Surface conditioning disc".These discs are SUPER, they are the "Holy Grail" to cleaning up and detailing parts like we are talking about. Those sharp edges on the rad support, you hit them with a marroon (med coarse)3" Surface conditioning disc on a little angle grinder is the only way to fly. They are like "grinding" but not nearly as agressive.

After cleaning up those inner fenders, blast them, epoxy or etch prime them and then a few coats of urethane primer. Surface them down nice to fill as much of the strange "wrinkles" that they have from the poor stamping (they WERE only fender liners to keep mud off the motor remember) and paint them as you would the body. THAT is what a well detailed car would look like.

The "rhino liner", I think is only good to cover up poor detail.

Brian
Old 09-23-2006, 09:03 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
I have to assume the rad support was all bolted in with the inner fenders and such? I would think that would look pretty hoky. If they were apart and well detailed the texture if not too heavy would work nice. But that stuff is sooooo thick I have never seen it applied thin enough where you could "paint" something with it and then bolt it together.

The build up would be so much that it would be like the parts "grew" a quarter inch! The masking and trimming of the parts would he horrendous!

I'm with painting it body color or black.

If you sand blast these "hard parts" like the rad support, inner fenders and the like and then epoxy prime them, and SS black urethane paint or body color is applied right over them they look pretty good.

But really, when you do something like an inner fender or rad support on something that is really special like a well detailed rod, you have to, well.....detail them. That rad support needs a lot of sanding to smooth off all the sharp edges from the dies that stamped out the pieces, clean it up prior to sandblasting and epoxy prime it and you really have a nice looking piece. The innerfenders, those may require more. Again, smooth out the burrs and stuff off the edges of holes and what not by sanding them or using a 3M Roloc "Surface conditioning disc".These discs are SUPER, they are the "Holy Grail" to cleaning up and detailing parts like we are talking about. Those sharp edges on the rad support, you hit them with a marroon (med coarse)3" Surface conditioning disc on a little angle grinder is the only way to fly. They are like "grinding" but not nearly as agressive.

After cleaning up those inner fenders, blast them, epoxy or etch prime them and then a few coats of urethane primer. Surface them down nice to fill as much of the strange "wrinkles" that they have from the poor stamping (they WERE only fender liners to keep mud off the motor remember) and paint them as you would the body. THAT is what a well detailed car would look like.

The "rhino liner", I think is only good to cover up poor detail.

Brian
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Can't believe that stupid shop did not call you for your opinion first!
Guess someone should take all the trophys they had away.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:10 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Can't believe that stupid shop did not call you for your opinion first!
Guess someone should take all the trophys they had away.
Barry, is this what I am to expect from you on every one of my posts from now on? It will get very tiring very quick.

Maybe I should have directed my post to the original poster being he described the truck that I was replying to.

Brian
Old 09-23-2006, 05:34 PM

Last photo:

A different way to do someting, wow! I think that would look even better under the hood of a dressed out 4 wheel drive pickem up show truck! I knew a guy a few years back that had his whole truck exterior Rhino lined. He never told me how much it cost, but he said the clean up was easy!
Old 09-23-2006, 05:47 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

I have seen several where the engine compartment was done in bedliner stuff. Usually it is the aerosol can stuff. It gives it a little less texture than the Rhino type, but gets it textured pretty well.

The people that own the vehicles like it that way, and that is all that matters. They don't ask other people for their opinions on it.

I don't like Chebbys, but alot of people do, for some reason.

Aaron
Old 09-23-2006, 06:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtkart
The people that own the vehicles like it that way, and that is all that matters. They don't ask other people for their opinions on it.
Aaron
That would pretty much put an end to forums if discussing if one "likes it" or "disagrees" or "agrees" with different subjects wouldn't it?

Brian
Old 09-23-2006, 10:35 PM
http://community.webshots.com/

I don't know what it looks like but I can tell you this, that stuff is flammable plastic and it seems to me to be a little too close to a hot header for safety sake. I have see truck beds coated with Rinoliner burn and those shop fire extinguishers won't come near to putting it out. Be sure your insurance is paid up...
Old 09-24-2006, 04:39 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy
I don't know what it looks like but I can tell you this, that stuff is flammable plastic and it seems to me to be a little too close to a hot header for safety sake. I have see truck beds coated with Rinoliner burn and those shop fire extinguishers won't come near to putting it out. Be sure your insurance is paid up...
----------------------------------------------------------------

The spray in bed liners are normally one of the following make up either
polyurea, polyurethane, moisture cured polyurethane and a few talc stuffed epoxies.

The fire hazard is really no more than with the paint or plastic pieces in the engine compartment.
Usually the the truck bed fires were cased by either spilled gas cans or other flammables in the truck bed and the thickness of the bedliner gave plenty of material to burn where your paint will burn but not enough thickness to carry
much of a fire. Only other problem I'm aware of is gas mounted compressors in the bed and the exhaust was mounted to close to the bed and it melted and scorched the liner and the paint underneath but did not burn. (this is very common)

The difference in an engine compartment VS a truck bed is they are not spraying the material a 1/4 inch thick and all their trying to do is get an even texture.
So its really no real extra risk then painting the engine compartment.
The paint must catch fire first before the bedliner can.

Seeing more and more underbelly's and engine compartments done this way at shows, done right it can really dress the car or truck up.

Also another note I do know some of the bedliner companies are now playing with the addition of flame retardants in there products and have been for some time.

Last edited by BarryK; 09-24-2006 at 04:47 AM.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:56 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

The aerosol stuff that I have seen used gave more of a surface of real bad orange peel, not the heavy build of the Rhino liners. Almost like was put in trunks in some of the older cars.

Aaron
Old 09-24-2006, 07:36 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I think we can open up our minds to the possibilites..shooting a thin coat of bedliner to get a nice texture can be a good idea in my mind..Sure it would need to be fairly thick on a truck bed to give the protection..but on something else a thin coat would be just fine..

Sam
Old 09-24-2006, 08:15 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Some people don't have the resourses (time, money, room, or experience) to completely disassemble the front end of their vehicles. That stuff will allow them to customize as they can, and cover what they can't make perfect. I don't see where it is alot different than using it inside fenders or on the underside of a car, to prevent paint chips from rocks.

Part of Hotrodding is doing things differently.

Aaron
Old 09-24-2006, 09:19 AM
Garage Filler

Last journal entry: I need more time!
Last photo:

I used the Dupli-Color rattle can (bed-liner) stuff on my inner fenders and core support. It looks OK, but more than anything it gives it a uniform look and texture. It's also easy to touch up if needed. I would have painted everything under the hood with BC/CC but adtkart had worked his butt off enough on my Chebby.

I also used it on a fiberglass piece I made. Needed a vinyl texture look, sprayed the bed liner stuff then sprayed it with SEM coat. Everyone that looks at it thinks it's vinyl.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.