Hot Rod Forum banner

underhood temp vs hp

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  85406 
#1 ·
Anyone got a % number of the difference between pulling air from a hot under hood and from cool outside hood air. I ask because I just made a seal to keep the hot underhood air from my intake. 1\4 times indicate about 400 hp with underhood air and was trying to guess what a difference it will make. At the track I run my electric fans all the time trying to keep it cool so am thinking the air into the carb is pretty warm on a hot day.

#4 ·
Yep, sounds right to me.

That's what I try to teach the ricers at the dragstrip. I have to laugh when they raise the hood for me to inspect the motor and bay and I see that they have spent untold amounts of money for an aftermarket intake pipe and K&N filter and then terminate the whole mess right behind the radiator. :spank:

#5 ·
Cold air intake will not only make your car perform better it will make it much more consistent. When driving around you'd be suprissed how much air traveling from the sides can affect your air inlet temp. As an example, running an air cleaner that is open to engine compartment temp around a place like Daytona the inlet temp at the carburetor can change as much as 40 degrees around the race track based on the wind blowing hot air over the intake. Keeping the air inlet temp closer is going to make your tuning much easier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.