Underside Paint??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2012, 04:56 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Underside Paint???

Hi guys I've been looking around on here to see what you people are spraying the underside of there car with,alot use undercoat or bedliner material what about just plain old paint.I was wondering if anybody has painted the underside with just epoxy only or do you need to put a top coat over it.I just can't see myself putting undercoat back under this car as much pain and trouble it was to get off.The pic below is not up to date I have sandblasted the underside and inside and some hard to get to areas.

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 06:22 PM

Last photo:

underside

I shot two coats of epoxy primer then a heavy coat of rubberized undercoating on my Goat. I wanted some sound deadener as well as protection from gravel chips.

regards

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00752.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	61744  
Old 01-13-2012, 03:38 AM

I did my Dad's 66 Nova with epoxy, then a satin black single stage paint. Looks great, but this isn't a DD or bad weather car, only driven on nice sunny days. The last car he had, a 70 Chevelle, we just did the epoxy. The guy that purchased the car, still looks great 5yrs later, once again only driven in nice weather.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:07 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the info guys.I ordered some SPI epoxy Thursday.I talked to SPI guy and he said the epoxy is the best around so I'm going to spray 2 coats and that's all.I've done alot of research and I haven't heard anything bad about SPI epoxy.
Now what is a good seam sealer that will last without cracking etc.

Nice weather driven only.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:32 AM
boatbob2

seam sealer........

Hi,ive had good luck with the gray seam sealer from eastwood..
Old 01-13-2012, 02:01 PM

Last photo:

I would use a 2K.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto_ron
I shot two coats of epoxy primer then a heavy coat of rubberized undercoating on my Goat. I wanted some sound deadener as well as protection from gravel chips.

regards

Ron
Hi Ron,

I have a 67 GTO Convertible that I will do a body off come spring.
I have been doing everything on a car except transmissions since 1965 and I think that the GTO will be the last car that I have in me. All of my other cars and future cars will be at the level of just light maintaining.
I wanted to give you a pointer after reading that you used undercoating on a car like this.
All of the guys that I know who have been doing body work for decades (like myself) do not use undercoating anymore as we found that from a tiny tear from rocks, road dirt, etc in the undercoating allow moisture to get trapped between the undercoating and the steel and then rust, then rot.
For sound deadening we all have been using an inexpensive form of Dynamat (or you can use dynamat) from Lowe's that stops engine heat, deadens the sound and goes on easy on the inside of the car. An inexpensive version of Dynamat that does the same thing.
Jack
Old 01-15-2012, 12:12 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA1958
Hi guys I've been looking around on here to see what you people are spraying the underside of there car with,alot use undercoat or bedliner material what about just plain old paint.I was wondering if anybody has painted the underside with just epoxy only or do you need to put a top coat over it.I just can't see myself putting undercoat back under this car as much pain and trouble it was to get off.The pic below is not up to date I have sandblasted the underside and inside and some hard to get to areas.

Thanks

If the car is not going to be a DD but a fair weather driver, I would paint the bottom, then get some ChipGuard and shoot over that. It might have a slight orange peel to it, but it will shine the same as your paint. the chip guard is what you see sprayed on the lower fenders and rockers of newer cars to protect them from road rash.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:09 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

Everyone has their opinions, and I'm no different -on my Car, I used SPI Epoxy, then I Seam Sealed it inside and out (after I Epoxied the Floor inside). then I scuffed it, used W&G remover and used SPI Bedliner on the underside-it looks real good, and it definitely took the "ring" out of the Sheetmetal-just a thought-
Old 01-16-2012, 10:08 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA1958
Thanks for the info guys.I ordered some SPI epoxy Thursday.I talked to SPI guy and he said the epoxy is the best around so I'm going to spray 2 coats and that's all.I've done alot of research and I haven't heard anything bad about SPI epoxy.
Now what is a good seam sealer that will last without cracking etc.

Nice weather driven only.
Go with a 2k seam sealer. Valvoline's Pliogrip line is who makes OE sealer. They also make the 3M applicator gun, but the Pliogrip application gun is cheaper. However, once you have it, you can apply both Pliogrip and 3M 2k seam sealers. The guns are a little pricey though. I don't recall what I paid for mine but it was somewhere between $40 and $60 if I recall...
Old 01-16-2012, 10:23 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

I've painted my frame with Endura EX-2C (polyurethane), and thought that I would also paint the underside (actually ALL high-abrasion areas including the inside of the pickup box and door sills, etc) with it. Nice and shiny, and tough as nails.

It's fairly legendary paint in this area, at least.

The boxliner stuff sounds like it would be a great idea in the wheel-house areas.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:04 AM

Last photo:

If this was mine I'd look into LIZARDSKIN.with it you don't need seam sealer. Just go to LIZARDSKIN.com for info.Good luck,looks great.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:12 AM

Last photo:

I've used POR 15 on several undersides. The first one was 15 years ago. Still looks like the day i put it on. What is nice is it sticks to rust so if you have a few nooks and crannies that are not 100% clean the stuff still sticks.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:18 PM

Rotisserie

Does anyone know of anyone who has a rotisserie in the Abington MA area? I want to put my '78 VW bus on one to replace the wiring and brake lines and to paint underneath.

Thanks in advance,

bob
Old 01-22-2012, 12:24 PM

Underside paint

Your all right, but if you choose to undercoat and don't spray some kind of paint over it, it is hard to keep looking nice, the rubberized coating gets grey and dull, I usualy use a 2part eurethane boxliner over epoxy, it has the same texture (its Shiny) but is tough and easy to keep clean, I've also applied the boxliner over sanded por15 thus the rust protection, the factory undercoat was a joke back in the day and quite often was just splatted on here and there, I have a lot of people ask me if they should go for the "package" undercoat I always say no just clean the under carriage a few times a year to prevent dirt buildup in the nooks and crannies,

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.