Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Undestanding Ackerman/suspension geometry
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 07:25 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Undestanding Ackerman/suspension geometry

I have been trying to wrap my head around the whole understanding of steering ackerman and suspension geometry. I am currently using a MII custom front suspension on my chevy colorado pickup truck. It is a tubular crossmember, with heidts upper and lower control arms. Also im using heidts 2" drop spindles. I am currently trying to use a ford ranger power rack and pinion. My issue i am running into is the bumpsteer. The upper control arm width is 25", the lower width is 18". This setup puts my steering arms on my spindles at 44" apart. My ford ranger rack is roughly 24" pivot points. My question about the whole ackerman issue is the rack pivot points vs. the placement of the rack. If the pivot points do not fall in the ideal location of the LCA pivot points, or the point of intersection of the two control arms, will this affect my bumpsteer. Or can this be fixed with the proper location of the rack. If it is moved up or down relevant to the LCA's, will this eliminate any bumpsteer. If the tie rods line up with the LCA's, will this do anything, or does the pivot points along with the rack location make everything work properly.

I am considering biting the bullet and eliminating my power steering, and going with a unisteer custom manual steering rack. It does cost a bit, but I can make my pivot points work with my current suspension setup, and eliminate most of my bumpsteer.

Also does anyone have any links to MII IFS suspension geometry. I would like to know if my rack is properly placed relative to my control arms.

thanks
cory