The Undeveloped Olds 403 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2002, 01:00 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post The Undeveloped Olds 403

With alot of people rebuilding Trans Ams like myself. The 403 seems to be a common Question for alot of people. If somebody did thier research and was able to put togeather a performance package and sell it as a kit. They would be rich. It could'nt be a bum package. It would have to be something that would really wake this sleeping beast up. I've been reading alot of the replies to the big 403 questions and some of it sounds good but nothing really impressive you know what I mean? Replies welcomed becuase if there is a secret out there I'd love to know what it is.
Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2002, 09:35 AM

403's have a weaker bottom end with windowed mains. But they can be used up through high 11's without fear. Go to realoldspower.com
Old 12-22-2002, 12:16 PM

or check out http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/ofe403.htm
-z-
Old 12-26-2002, 06:36 PM

Exclamation

Sorry, man. While the 403 has the sweetest bore/stroke ratio on the planet, it was born in the late '70s in EGR land. Change your mounts and a 455 will bolt right in. You can even use the same cam...and distributor...and exhaust manifolds...and water pump...etc...
Good Luck

-Rocket Powered
Old 01-03-2003, 11:32 AM

I also have a Trans Am with a 403. I found that aftermarket pistons at the time of the build-six years ago, could not be found. I did put in a performer rpm cam. Had to change out the rockers, pushtubes, and istall guides for the pushtubes. I also had the block decked to try and get the comp. around 9.5 to 1. I also installed hooker headers and bullhogged out the exhaust in the heads. I never run it over 5000 rpm out of fear since the webbing is windowed. I found my engine to put out around 350 hp. I also had installed a performer intake-RPM will not fit with the shaker. I recommend frame connectors if you du this sort of thing, since my unibody developed a sixteen inch crack between the seats that I would have never found until seriously bad things happened, had I not changed out my carpet. I figure I only spent 2500 on the engine and headers, so not a bad price for a strong engine. My buddy said he recently rebuilt his 403 and said he bought aftermarket 9.5 to 1 pistons, so who knows, there still might be a way to get a bit more power without butchering like I did. Good luck.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.