Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   Uneven Floor? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/uneven-floor-212857.html)

StreetKruzer 01-19-2012 07:49 PM

Uneven Floor?

4 Attachment(s)
I Hope This Is In The Right Forum, Interior Forum Seems To Be Mostly Upholstery, Etc. I Just Channeled The Front Of My 33 Ply, And Am Getting Ready To Do The Firewall & Floor Panels. This Car Was Built Using The Back Half Of A Once Upon A Time Drag Car. My Problem Is The Framework & Door Jam From About Mid Front Door Toward The Back Are Even So The Floor Height Will Not Be A Problem There. Toward The Front (where The Channeling Lowers The Body Floor Goes Below The Top Of The Frame By About 2 1/2". How Do I Get A Smooth Transition Here? Do I Just Angle It Down From The Frame Rails To The Floor/wall Corner, Or Run The Floor Even Straight Out To The Sidewall. I Do Not Wish To Weld To The Outside Wall Because The Paint Is Decent And Not In The Build Plans For A Couple More Years. I Posted Some Pics That Should Give An Idea Of Where I Need To Get To. Any Help Is Welcome!

Rod and Custom 01-21-2012 11:58 PM

To be short and simple, I'd say make the new floor flat on either side of the transmission tunnel. Then turn it down 90 degrees just inside the door interior panel. Be sure to leave enough room for the trim panel.

It looks like you have a few inches of the original floor that can be used to attach the new floor. So... you could turn your new floor under another 90 degrees which would allow you to spot or plug weld the new to the old without burning the paint in the actual door jamb area.

You will need to fabricate cross braces to mount seats and seat belts. I think you'll be happier with a flat floor. Angling down from the rails out would mean everything you drop on the floor would roll out the door when you open it.

Also, be sure you have both the body and frame aligned on the same centerline. Check it front to rear. That will save huge problems later on.

deadbodyman 01-23-2012 05:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres what it'll look like....

StreetKruzer 01-23-2012 06:38 AM

Flat Floor

Thanks Deadbodyman & Rc. I Get It Now. We'll See How I Do Starting Next Weekend.

S10xGN 01-23-2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StreetKruzer
I Hope This Is In The Right Forum, Interior Forum Seems To Be Mostly Upholstery, Etc. I Just Channeled The Front Of My 33 Ply, And Am Getting Ready To Do The Firewall & Floor Panels. This Car Was Built Using The Back Half Of A Once Upon A Time Drag Car. My Problem Is The Framework & Door Jam From About Mid Front Door Toward The Back Are Even So The Floor Height Will Not Be A Problem There. Toward The Front (where The Channeling Lowers The Body Floor Goes Below The Top Of The Frame By About 2 1/2". How Do I Get A Smooth Transition Here? Do I Just Angle It Down From The Frame Rails To The Floor/wall Corner, Or Run The Floor Even Straight Out To The Sidewall. I Do Not Wish To Weld To The Outside Wall Because The Paint Is Decent And Not In The Build Plans For A Couple More Years. I Posted Some Pics That Should Give An Idea Of Where I Need To Get To. Any Help Is Welcome!

I'm totally curious about something, this is not a "flame" by any means. I see quite a few posts on here (like yours) where every word is capitalized. Do you actually type this way or do you use a word processor and paste the body into your post? I've often wondered about this, seeing as how it'd be extra work to type them...

Russ

StreetKruzer 01-23-2012 10:28 AM

S10

Sorry, but when I am at work practically every Part# I need to put in is in capital letters. Practically everything in the Quickbooks that we use is also capitalized, as is the shipping , etc, etc, etc. When someone else has used my computer, and the caps are turned off, I start putting something in and then I have to go back & change it. It is very frustrating! When I am posting on here, was kinda letting my hair down because I didn't figure it mattered and it is faster. I'm more interested in getting the ideas down, etc. Besides, it's usually late at night & I just don't care by then. As far as the capitals at the start of every word, the software onsite must be doing it because other than now, I usually just type with the caps on for here.

deadbodyman 01-23-2012 05:40 PM

5 Attachment(s)
DONT FORGET YOUR FLOOR BRACES.... :D :D :D
and body mounts and placing the braces in the right spot to mount your seats to them...

StreetKruzer 01-23-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadbodyman
DONT FORGET YOUR FLOOR BRACES.... :D :D :D
and body mounts and placing the braces in the right spot to mount your seats to them...

THANKS DBMAN. I LIKE GETTING IDEAS ON HOW SOMEONE ELSE TACKLED A SIMILAR JOB. WILL BE LOOKING AT YOU PICS AS I GET TO IT.

deadbodyman 01-23-2012 07:37 PM

5 Attachment(s)
LOL,any time you get frustrated just look at these pics of what I started with...... most of it was done in my driveway ,when it goes to the shop it just seems to sit there .at least everyone stopped laughing and making fun of it...and makin up nick names for me like deadbodyman....

matts37chev 01-23-2012 07:53 PM

looking at all of those, makes me feel a little better, knowing I'm not alone in my quest :mwink:

StreetKruzer 01-23-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

LOL,any time you get frustrated just look at these pics of what I started with...... most of it was done in my driveway ,when it goes to the shop it just seems to sit there .at least everyone stopped laughing and making fun of it...and makin up nick names for me like deadbodyman....

DBMAN!!!!!!!!!! I would say that you certainly enjoy a CHALLENGE! Mine doesn't look nearly as bad to me now as it did only five minutes ago! LOL. I would have to back into that one, because if I walked right up to it I'd run away before I got there! You got balls! By the way, I didn't want to appear as if'n I had no fetchin's up so I'm gonna try to use my CAPITALS appropriately! :thumbup: Thanks all for the help.

deadbodyman 01-23-2012 08:10 PM

5 Attachment(s)
some more recent pics from last year .I got some new helpers too...

deadbodyman 01-23-2012 08:20 PM

Just think of it this way ....floors are ez you weld em up so thier structurally sound then under coat them both sides and cover them up with carpet they dont have to be pretty ,no bondo ,no fussing.no painting anybody can do it if they have a welder,heck you dont even have to grind a weld if you dont want to.

StreetKruzer 01-24-2012 07:40 AM

Quote:

Just think of it this way ....floors are ez you weld em up so thier structurally sound then under coat them both sides and cover them up with carpet they dont have to be pretty ,no bondo ,no fussing.no painting anybody can do it if they have a welder,heck you dont even have to grind a weld if you dont want to.

Never enough help! :) When I compare some of your before & after pics, it is amazing to me. Don't think I will ever get there. Looking good!

matts37chev 01-24-2012 08:05 AM

guys, seeing the pics. from both of your cars, is good inspiration and help for me :D