uneven floor pan - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2011, 10:08 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

uneven floor pan

Hello guys! I just bought my dream car a 68 camaro coupe with a 350 engine with a power glide. The floors were roted out, the trunk pan was rotted and booth quarters. The quarters went in without a hitch. The trunk lid lines up perfect, as well as the door gaps. Here is where I am having problems.

1. I made a mistake and welded my rt side full length floor pan in a little to high on the rocker side. The body measures still square and I didn't cut the hump or the rear seat section out, just the foot section from fire wall foot section to the rear seat foot section. I trimmed it and dropped it in place and welded along the inside of car hump, as well as the seam from bottom of hump and new floor section .

2. There is not enough metal on the the floor pan to weld it to the rocker. My floor has the turned down rocker lips and its a ***** to get the welder in the small area to weld such a small lip. Theres barely enough metal to punch the hole in the floor pan to spot weld it. What I did was stitch weld it along the top of floor to the rocker.

Now from you pros will this be ok? or should I just cut it out and redo it?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2011, 10:44 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

post pics. it's hard to say due to not seeing your level of welding.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:35 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Thats a good reason to use drill screws for fitting any sheetmetal ...If it was at my shop I'd have you redo it ,you might have more problems fitting other parts down the line...You didnt weld the 1/4s on before you got the trunk floor in did you???? Its a lot easier with the 1/4s off and you need to keep the doors on until the floors are completely done so you can monitor any movement...
I restore a lot of 1st generation cameros....rescued from the drag strip.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
Thats a good reason to use drill screws for fitting any sheet metal ...If it was at my shop I'd have you redo it ,you might have more problems fitting other parts down the line...You didn't weld the 1/4s on before you got the trunk floor in did you???? Its a lot easier with the 1/4s off and you need to keep the doors on until the floors are completely done so you can monitor any movement...
I restore a lot of 1st generation cameros....rescued from the drag strip.
Thanks for thew reply guys. Yes I repaired the trunk pan first with the quarters on. Then I replaced the quarter. I used the screws to lock the metal down before welding the floor pans in BUT! What happen was I didn't mark a guide for installing the new floor panels on the rocker side. the toe board lines, and the tunnel all lined up perfect. just noticed after I finished the floor that it is about an inch higher on the rocker than the other side.

Its going to be my daily driver when I'm done. I'm not really going the show car effort but still want a nice car in the end. But! I'm still thinking of putting another floor in. its not butchered just not right either. I been out of bodywork for 15 yrs. I guess if you don't keep up your skill you loose it.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.