Unfortunate Starter problems ? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2013, 02:11 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I can't say if you don't have any other problems,, Check the fly wheel and if it still look's good,, I would take the chance on one Like I posted,,, Like I said.. I was having nothing but trouble with sbc and bbc starters,, Breaking the nose off some and grinding,,, Never could shim them right,,,, I took a chance with this guy's starters and now I'm hooked on them,,, Never had any problems with his starters,,, I have bought a lot from him and will keep buying from him until I start to have trouble's.... I'm about to buy another one for my big block in my C-CAB sometime this week...

But like I said... Without being there to see everything,,, I can't say it's your only problem... If it was mine... I would get the starter... What ever you decide.. Good luck and I hope this fix your problem... The good thing about this starter is the size and the price... Don't freak out when you see how small it is..

It turned over my 468 big block with no problems at all..

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to NEW INTERIORS For This Useful Post:
stratt134 (06-25-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 02:40 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS View Post
I can't say if you don't have any other problems,, Check the fly wheel and if it still look's good,, I would take the chance on one Like I posted,,, Like I said.. I was having nothing but trouble with sbc and bbc starters,, Breaking the nose off some and grinding,,, Never could shim them right,,,, I took a chance with this guy's starters and now I'm hooked on them,,, Never had any problems with his starters,,, I have bought a lot from him and will keep buying from him until I start to have trouble's.... I'm about to buy another one for my big block in my C-CAB sometime this week...

But like I said... Without being there to see everything,,, I can't say it's your only problem... If it was mine... I would get the starter... What ever you decide.. Good luck and I hope this fix your problem... The good thing about this starter is the size and the price... Don't freak out when you see how small it is..

It turned over my 468 big block with no problems at all..
u wouldnt happen to have the measurements of one would u , even though i got my reman starter working right now , i sure could use a bunch of clearance around the starter for my downpipe off the passenger side turbo on my car , its hard to find a decently priced mini starter for the offset bolt pattern
Old 06-25-2013, 05:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project89 View Post
u wouldnt happen to have the measurements of one would u , even though i got my reman starter working right now , i sure could use a bunch of clearance around the starter for my downpipe off the passenger side turbo on my car , its hard to find a decently priced mini starter for the offset bolt pattern
I will check to see if I still have the broken Power Master,, They are the same size... I can tell you this much... IT'S SMALL !!!LOL First one I bought I laughed when I open the box..

Told my wife I wasted my money buying this little toy.. It will never turn over my motor... Boy was I wrong !!!!! If you need room,, You will have that... It's not much bigger then your hand... Well my hand anyway..LOL.. I will try to find my broken Power Master and get back to you...I have a wake to go to tonight for my good friend..
Old 06-26-2013, 04:52 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I will check to see if I still have the broken Power Master,, They are the same size... I can tell you this much... IT'S SMALL !!!LOL First one I bought I laughed when I open the box..

Told my wife I wasted my money buying this little toy.. It will never turn over my motor... Boy was I wrong !!!!! If you need room,, You will have that... It's not much bigger then your hand... Well my hand anyway..LOL.. I will try to find my broken Power Master and get back to you...I have a wake to go to tonight for my good friend..

thanks would be greatly apreciated , no rush at all on it , as ill prolly buy one when i decide to upgrade my downpipes and turbos , if i can fit it ill go with dual 3.5 inch downpipes instead of dual 3 inch , cureently i have dual 2.5 and its a tight fit witht he stock starter
Old 06-26-2013, 07:36 PM

Last photo:

I picked up a new Summit mini high-torque Starter today and installed it. Still the same problem. Set the proper gap on 1 spot on the flexplate, and when I spin it over 1/3rd, it's off by a lot. So I am going to drop the trans and order a new flexplate in the morning (as well as a bigger converter to fix the off-idle problem b/c the cam is so big). I'm glad I got rid of the old junk starter and swapped to this new one too, should at least eliminate any problems in the future.

So I sure hope I find a broken/cracked, or at least warped, flexplate when I get it all taken apart in the morning...
Old 06-26-2013, 07:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratt134 View Post
I picked up a new Summit mini high-torque Starter today and installed it. Still the same problem. Set the proper gap on 1 spot on the flexplate, and when I spin it over 1/3rd, it's off by a lot. So I am going to drop the trans and order a new flexplate in the morning (as well as a bigger converter to fix the off-idle problem b/c the cam is so big). I'm glad I got rid of the old junk starter and swapped to this new one too, should at least eliminate any problems in the future.

So I sure hope I find a broken/cracked, or at least warped, flexplate when I get it all taken apart in the morning...
I think I would have taken the cheaper way out,, But That's you... Now try clamping a piece on metal very close to the fly wheels without touching it and turn it by hand and watch the gap between the F/w And the metal and see how much it's out of round.. That will tell you better...

Stop spinning it over with the key,, It will only make things worst,, When checking the gaps, Best to turn it by hand..
Old 06-26-2013, 07:56 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project89 View Post
thanks would be greatly apreciated , no rush at all on it , as ill prolly buy one when i decide to upgrade my downpipes and turbos , if i can fit it ill go with dual 3.5 inch downpipes instead of dual 3 inch , cureently i have dual 2.5 and its a tight fit witht he stock starter
Still looking for it... I think that $3 or 400 dollar starter might be and the trash by now,,, But I remember saving it.. I will keep looking..
Old 06-26-2013, 08:24 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by killeratrod View Post
why would you only tighten one bolt on the flywheel ? Check all of them now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratt134 View Post
I know.. At the time I didn't think the bolt I "checked" was loose enough to make me want to check the other 2.
If you tightened one of three fasteners, that would have been the torque converter to the flexplate. There are two types of converter to flexplate bolts- one uses a bolt and nut, the other uses a bolt into threaded holes in the converter- which may be the one you have. If that's the case, I would loosen all three and retighten them in stages to a final torque of 40-45 ft/lb and then see if the warp is corrected.
The Following User Says Thank You to cobalt327 For This Useful Post:
stratt134 (06-27-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 07:33 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
I think I would have taken the cheaper way out,, But That's you... Now try clamping a piece on metal very close to the fly wheels without touching it and turn it by hand and watch the gap between the F/w And the metal and see how much it's out of round.. That will tell you better...
Yes I will do that today as well. I'm glad to have the new starter, mainly b/c their is no nose-cone on it so much easier for me to set the gap correctly, or at least check it in multiple locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
If you tightened one of three fasteners, that would have been the torque converter to the flexplate. There are two types of converter to flexplate bolts- one uses a bolt and nut, the other uses a bolt into threaded holes in the converter- which may be the one you have. If that's the case, I would loosen all three and retighten them in stages to a final torque of 40-45 ft/lb and then see if the warp is corrected.
Thank you, great advice. It was 1 of the 3 Flexplate/converter bolts. I checked the other two and they weren't loose. However, the flexplate does seem to have extra flex in it at a particular spot - I'm guessing it's cracked somewhere. I finally got the car over to a lift, instead of on jack stands, so this should be much easier now. I'll report back soon
Old 06-27-2013, 08:11 AM

Last photo:

Sounds good..

stratt134..The Flexplate/converter bolts was brought up at the begaining of this thread.. Not sure if you missed that or not... If they are tighten wrong it can cause problems..
Old 06-27-2013, 11:35 AM

Last photo:

Looks like the bolts don't have washers on them and may have got pulled through the holes a bit. The flywheel was out of round more than .040 after measuring this morning
Old 06-27-2013, 11:53 AM

Last photo:

If you do happen to pull the trans or motor to change the fly wheel,, Check the back side of the crank and make sure they don't have a pilot shaft bushing inside the back of the fly wheel... Does the converter side forward without pulling with the bolts ?? Seen where someone didn't take out the bushing and tryed installing a automatic trans before... Just something else to check if you have the trans out..
Old 06-28-2013, 07:12 AM

Last journal entry: Still running strong

Just for future info. a straighten out paper clip should just fit between the teeth ( when engaged) of the flywheel an starter gear.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:23 AM

Last photo:

I unbolted the torque converter to check the flexplate one more time. I measured again, and the flexplate is out-of-round by a good .040". Looks like I'm ordering a new flexplate and bigger converter while it is out. Here are some pictures of the bolt holes on the flexplate:

Old 07-10-2013, 08:42 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

by the photo it looks like some one installed wrong converter to flex plate ,when buying new flexplate get the one with dual bolt holes ,6 holes there on a different bolt circle,then you can turn converter to match correct bolt holes

Also you don't have to buy the high dollar starters just buy a 4.3 v6 standard starter ,sane as a nini starter gives lots more room.a have one on my 496 BBC no problems hot or cold ,,most all local racers use them now,,lots cheaper .mine is a staggered bolt ,don't know if the make one for straight across bolts but most blocks have 3 holes so you can run either to match flywheel the 168 tooth flywheel uses the staggered bolt starter.= the 153 most will use either but the strait across usually work without any shims

Last edited by 496CHEVY3100; 07-10-2013 at 08:49 PM.

Tags
flywheel, starter

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.