Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - A unique BBC application
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 09:11 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

desoto, the soggy foam is being remedied... its out! We're about to start rebuilding the structure (all composite, no foam). It should be a tad lighter than it was from the factory, not to mention all the water weight the foam was holding last year. Im hopeful we'll see a noticeable improvement in holeshot just with the weight loss... any top speed gains will be a bonus. I have to say that the boat didnt slow down much, even with a boat full of people!

Yes, we're planning to use the boat to ski- well, barefoot, actually. The top speed is a bonus, as we dont 'foot over 45mph. Being able to pull multiple barefooters comfortably is a requirement, though.

Bentwings, great tips- thanks. Yes, Id love to install an A/F meter to tune this thing... but it does get a little tricky with the wet exhaust. My buddy had a piece machined with a port that installed between the manifold and riser, so that may be something I can emulate, depending on what type of manifolds I end up with. Until then, Ill have to rely on plug chopping... I did convert the secondaries to a block with replaceable jets in anticipation of dialing it in though.

A blower would be very cool if I could make it work with the reverse rotation- that may something Ill be researching in the future. Its out of the budget this year, though. Ive heard nitrous is an easy way to make gains, but Im not crazy about the idea. All motor would be a cooler way to go, IMHO. Everything we've discovered about the motor so far indicates that its too fresh to justify tearing into- but eventually Id love to put together a 496 stroker for it. This year, Im just trying to optimize what Ive got with a few select parts!

Olnolan, great feedback- thank you! Are you suggesting that my CR is about 10:1 like I think, or is it lower? The plan now is to at least measure the valve lift on the cam and proceed from there. If I were to pull it, would a shop be able to measure it up and tell me what Ive got? It sure would be nice to have a baseline. A regrind is certainly an option, but Comp says they have the reverse rotation blanks and can custom grind whatever I want for ~$300... so thats my back up plan. Id prefer to find a smaller outfit that really knows BBC's and how to make them work in a boat application like mine.

Many thanks to all!

Last edited by TRBenj; 01-26-2010 at 09:17 AM.