Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Unique cooling problem??
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 04:11 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Unique cooling problem??

I have a 383 chevy stroker motor that really has no cooling problems but this gets interesting, trust me.

The water pump I have now is a stock long water pump with the bypass, the threaded port on the top of the pump body that is plumbed into the heater core or directly to the intake manifold, and is blocked off. I am not running a heater core or any other accessories plumbed into the coolant system. Be cool amuminum radiator, stant thermostat 180 degrees stat.

Everything worked well until i switched my pump to the edelbrock polsihed aluminum high flow pump to pretty things up a bit. The pump is the correct rotation direction, i have verified that, and is installed in the exact same configuration as the old pump. Now the engine will not flow a single drop of coolant and skyrockets to 250 no problem. when I remove the thermostat the pump flows like a champ, and i cant get it above 140 degrees. I have verified the function of the thermostat aswell as tried several other thermostats. Upon putting the old pump and thermostat back on, everything works fine again.

I am planning on trying one of the Mr gasket or the EMP/stewart high flow stats with the bypass holes in them. I have even replaced the pump under warranty and the problem persits.

I phoned edlebrock and knowone had any what to do, or any useful information.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Dont stock pumps have an internal bypass circut within the pump body? Does anyone know it the edelbrocks have this internal bypass aswell?

If this does not work, im just gonna replace it with a stewart pump When i phoned them, they actually knew what they were talking bout.