Unisteer Cross Steer Rack and Pinion - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2004, 11:55 AM
Takes Guts To Cut One Up

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thumbs up Unisteer Cross Steer Rack and Pinion

Hey all I just finsihed installing the New Unisteer Cross steer unit on my 1925 Chevy sedan. the unit allows you to install manual rack and pinion on a classic tube or Ibeam axle. It seems to work out great! It was a bolt in replacement for my Vega box and allowed enough clearance for hedders now, before there was no chance. Has anyone else used this set up? So far I am very impressed with the company and their support.

www.unisteer.com/CrossSteer.html

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2004, 10:59 AM

Friscoe, I wanted to say thank you for the extra effort, was not able to pursue at the time, had bout due to knee surgery, you saved me a lot of time and helped me find a solution, thanks again for extra effort.
I will let you know how my new Unisteer system works out when I get it installed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2004, 02:30 PM

Last photo:

Still like the Cross Steer unit?

I see by the post date that you've had the Cross Steer unit for a little while now, and do you still like it? I have 32 Ford that currently has a worn out Vega box and would like to replace it with the Cross Steer unit from Maval. Go or No go? Love the pictures of your ride... Thanks
Old 09-03-2004, 02:50 PM
Takes Guts To Cut One Up

Last photo:

Re: Still like the Cross Steer unit?

Quote:
Originally posted by 32Hoopie
I see by the post date that you've had the Cross Steer unit for a little while now, and do you still like it? I have 32 Ford that currently has a worn out Vega box and would like to replace it with the Cross Steer unit from Maval. Go or No go? Love the pictures of your ride... Thanks
I am very satisfied! the steering response is wonderful compared to the Vega box. I would recommend the unit as far as my experience goes. If you have any specific questions please let me know.

Mark
Old 09-03-2004, 04:15 PM

Last photo:

Great to hear your experience has been positive. Did you have to install any extensions for the steering rods? Or did you simply replace the Vega unit. It looks like the steering hook-up is not exactly in the same place, maybe a little more forward than the old Vega connection.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:22 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Thumbs up

WHAT A GREAT PRODUCT!

Mark,

Does the unit appear heavy enough to steer a mid-fifties FORD with a heavy engine on an ECONOLINE axle? Have you heard anything about a power assist?
Old 09-05-2004, 09:16 AM
Takes Guts To Cut One Up

Last photo:

The unit does sit forward of the Vega box location which gives much more header clearance but all linkage is in the same location no additional changes were required. I did have to make an adapter bracket for my 1925 chevy to drop the unit but they have since taken my design and produced an appropriate bracket for my car. As far as your car it should be a direct fit with no modifications necessary. My car is pretty light with a SBC and I don't need any power assist it steers very easy much nicer than the old vega box. I don't know of any power assist for the cross Steer unit but they are very helpful and an Email to them should get a quick response. This unit gave me all kinds of clearance for headers which I could not fit before. I think I have some pictures of my install in my gallery if not I will post a couple. Hope this helps good luck!
Old 09-07-2004, 08:55 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the input. I took a look at the pictures and I think we're a go! I'll let you know how my installation goes. C ya...
Old 09-28-2004, 03:37 PM

Last photo:

Thumbs up Yahoo...

Just a follow-up note. The Maval Cross-steer replacement unit for my old Vega box went great. After a little adjusting to get the steering wheel straight, I'm good to go... No more 3" slop, tracks great, very responsive and smooth. You can add me to the list of very satisfied customers. My only complaint is that I waited to long to install it! Thanks again for the encouragement. Keep on Roddin'

Ken
Old 09-28-2004, 06:06 PM

Ihave a 1941 Mercury. I emailed them to see if the unit would work on my car. I also stated that I was sure I would have to make a bracket to mount unit to the frame since the Merc frame is different than Ford. I waited 10 days for reply and this is what I got, ("No,Sorry") Kind of thought I would get a little more help as to why not or whatever.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:19 PM
Takes Guts To Cut One Up

Last photo:

I am sorry to hear that I didnt get lightning fast response either and did have to send some follow up Emails, Malval is a big company they make many OEM rack and pinion systems if you are really interested you might try going up the ladder!

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.