Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Universal Stop Light Switch Wiring
View Single Post
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2013, 06:28 PM
Sweet-34's Avatar
Sweet-34 Sweet-34 is offline
Lost In The 50's
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 128
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Universal Stop Light Switch Wiring

I put one of these Universal Stop Light Switches on my hotrod. It originaly had an inline pressure switch. I eliminated it and extended the wiring up to the Universal Stop Light Switch as seen in the picture.

It worked perfectly for about 8 months....but today while doing other work on the car I smelled something burning and smoke was coming from the area where the wiring hooked to the Universal Stop Light Switch.

I disconnected the battery and of course the smoke and smell disappered.

I unplugged the two wires to the switch and hooked the battery back up with the wires unplugged from the switch and the wires showed no evidence of heat or smoke.

I hooked the wires to the switch and connected the battery back up and the wires were getting warm again, so I unplugged them.

This switch says it is rated at 42 Amp max. What does that actually mean? Did I do something wrong by just extending the wires from the pressure switch to the front of the vehicle and plug them into this Universal Switch?

OR....is it a defective China made switch and I can just replace the switch and everything will be OK?


I thank you in advance for your input on this subject.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Universal Brake Light Switch.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	70236  
Reply With Quote