Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Universal Stop Light Switch Wiring
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 08:44 AM
Lost In The 50's

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Fuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicrod View Post
The first and most important issue is a fuse should have blown which would protect the wiring in this type of failure.
A test of the switch can be done with an ohmmeter. With the wires disconnected, test each of the two terminals with respect to ground. You should have no resistance reading on either terminal.
Also a short to ground could be occurring somewhere else in the circuit. But it seems like the switch is the problem.
The 42 amp rating is the capacity of the switch contacts to handle current up to 42 amps without damage. Not an issue in this situation.

vicrod
All fuses are 30 Amp. What fuse amp should be used for:

Headlights/Tailights

Brakelights

Engine Cooling Fan

4-Ways

I used a Continuity Tester and it showed continuity in the off position and no continuity in the on position. I touched one pole with one end wire from tester and the other pole with the other end of the tester. Am I doing it right....or should I be touching the lead of the continuity tester to a good ground (steel brakeline) and touch each terminal on the switch and see if I get a reading?

I used a Test Light and grounded it to a steel brakeline and it showed nothing when I touched each post on the switch.

All comments welcomed.

Last edited by Sweet-34; 01-02-2013 at 08:59 AM.