Unknown Ford 460 engine - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2007, 03:03 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Unknown Ford 460 engine

Hi, I just bought a hot rod work in progress. It is a Ford 1948 F1 shortbed pickup, with a 460 cin ford engine. My probl;em is that the former owner knows next to nothing about the engine, other than it ran when he bought it. It needs a coil, as he removed the old one and lost it. So In order to try to get it running I need to start there. The intake manifold has the following stamped on it, DOAE - 9425 - F. From this I think the engine is a 1970 460 out of a galaxie, but am not sure. Can I buy any coil for this, or do I need a special one? #2 what is the proper wiring of this, and does anyone have a basic wiring schematic to check that everything is wired properly. It is converted to 12 volts. #3 What would be a good size battery for this engine with long battery cables going into the cab at thios point?
Thanks, any help would be appreciated! Steve (stovens)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2007, 03:28 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Basically, any 12v external coil will work. (assuming it still has a points type distributor) Negative side of the coil goes to the dist/points. Positive side goes to a switched 12v source.

A moderate to high end group 24 top post should be fine. Checker or AZ can handle it.
You may want to get some serious welding cable if the battery run is long. But if its under the seat and only goes to the starter, you may find good cables long enough at the auto parts store.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:19 PM

JMARK
Thanks,
Got it to crank, but not start. Next will check for spark and fuel supply.

Last edited by Stovens; 10-04-2007 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:32 AM

Juice to coil but no spark

Hi
I put in a new coil and tested the positive terminal with a volt meter grounded to the engine block, and got 12volts on the meter. Next I tested for electricity across the coil with the ingnition switch on, + terminal with red wire to + side of meter, - lead to negative side of coil, no volts. I also tried this while cranking it over, still no volts or spark. Any ideas of what could be the problem? I'm guessing it has something to do with the distributor, but lack a schematic to check the current wiring of the points and condensor. Help.

Last edited by Stovens; 10-06-2007 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:21 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovens

I put in a new coil and tested the positive terminal with a volt meter grounded to the engine block, and got 12volts on the meter.

Next I tested for electricity across the coil with the ingnition switch on, + terminal with red wire to + side of meter, - lead to negative side of coil, no volts. I also tried this while cranking it over, still no volts or spark. Any ideas of what could be the problem? I'm guessing it has something to do with the distributor, but lack a schematic to check the current wiring of the points and condensor. Help.
Do you have BATT VOLT at the hot side of the coil while cranking? Depending on year of donor vehicle, cranking VOLT came from either the IGN SW or STARTER SOLENOID. If you are sure the point gap is correct and the grounds are correct, connect a temporary jumper from BAT VOLT to the + side of the coil while cranking. A bad condensor will also ground the system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DISTRIBUTOR_LASTVERSION2.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	24697   Click image for larger version

Name:	Points Type Distributor_2.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	24698   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mechanical Points Schematic.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	24699  
Old 10-06-2007, 01:39 PM

Starting 460

I put a new condensor in the ignition, checked to see if old points are opening and closing - they are, still no juice out of the coil wire or to the plugs. Thanks for the diagram, I'll try cleaning the ground wire next.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:22 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

With the key on, open the points set with a screwdriver and see if there is a spark.

The black wire (-) from the coil to the points is a ground only. There is also a non-insulated wire that grounds the upper breaker plate to the distributor housing (via the lower breaker plate).

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.