Hot Rod Forum banner

Unusual Power Steering Conversion

5K views 17 replies 3 participants last post by  Lars Sorensen 
#1 ·
Have a 66 Fairlane GT/A (390, automatic). It has stock manual steering which is TERRIBLE (heavy and way too low geared).
Tried a setup using the period power steup which uses the same box and a power cylinder but the results were no better.
Can find nothing nowhere to help me out.
What I really want is a high geared (3 turns) power assisted steering.
I have very limited access to scrapyards and to donor cars locally but I have some Saginaw PS components.
Has anyone any experience with these GM units in my type of Ford? What about a rack pinion power setup? (Mustang maybe?)
My car is otherwise stock/original, apart from power disc brakes.

Help, this car is a barge to drive!!
Thanks for any help!!
Lars

#3 ·
Unusual power steering conversion

KULTULZ:
thanks for that info! Indeed, there's no comparison between those steering boxes you mention. I do not know if mine is the HCA CA or another.

Yes, the PS I installed is the same as the one on your drawing and I don't like it.

I really doubt much I could get hold of a HCA CZ box and would much prefer a modern conversion or adaption. Any ideas?

Many thanks!!
Lars

#5 ·
Thanks again for the help!
I had heard of the TPC people and I saw your attached page again, however, the rack & pinion box seems to be under development still.
Then there is also the Flaming River alternative and I wonder if it is suitable for the Fairlane and if it can be used with the Saginaw pump?

Thanks,
Lars (also 56)

#8 · (Edited)
EBlack36 said:
I have been following a story about TCP over on the mercurycougar.net forum and it seems as if they have now closed there doors.
:eek:

That's going to hurt as they did have some nice products...

Let me ask you Lars if I may...

Are you wanting to keep the car fairly origional or does certain modifications not bother you? And what product does Flaming River offer that interests you?

#9 ·
Unusual PS swap

KULTULZ :

naturally you may ask any questions!
I wanted to keep the car 99% original in the beginning but as I had to improve on the brakes (still working on them) and the steering in oirder to make the car "driver-firendly", I am making a small concession to originality. I don´t mind at all as long as the car is quick & fun to drive.

I had an interest in Flaming River because they have a couple steering boxes that have a reasonably quick ratio. They are not suitable for my car, though. (It doesn't seem so at least.)

I think I have tried all possible options but will not give up....maybe I´ll end up with a Saginaw in the car.
In the meantime, I am listening to any good advice!

Lars

PS: I had a little trouble loggin in from my home PC but made it.

#10 ·
If you are not concerned with the origionality of the car, you have two other options, both of them fairly drastic. The first is the MUST II conversion as to where you do away with the aprons and revert to four control arms, rack and disc. And the second is a strut retrofit (from a FOX Mustang) that will give you a rack and up to 13" front discs if you want to go that far.

How hard is it to bring in parts from the states to Chile? Simplicity would be the P/S box as you already have all of the power assist linkage.

-WOODY'S FAIRLANE SITE-

#11 ·
UNUSUAL PS CONVERSION

KULTULZ:

Thanks for the continued help!!!
Your two suggestions sound good but a bit drastic in my case as they involve lots of work (and expense). I am not 100% sure about how the 2nd suggestion would look but it does seem slightly more complicated than the Mustang II way(??).
Do you know where I can find further info on these items? (Any web page?)

I would frankly opt for some quick steering box solution but of course the problem is precisely finding one!
I cannot get much help locally (other than Saginaw parts or something along those lines) as this is strictly a Euro/Orient car country!
As to your question it is no problem to buy parts from the USA but they get pretty expensive when shipping, handling + customs dues (!!) are added!
That Fairlane site seems great, I'll have a look!

Many thanks!

#12 ·
MUST II Conversion;

-ROD & CUSTOM MOTORSPORT-

FOX Strut Conversion;

-FATMAN FABRICATIONS-

A few years ago, there was a guy that was modifying FOX (late MUSTANG) to a lower/upper control arm arrangement and modified the steering knuckle to accept an upper ball joint stud. I didn't keep up with his work as I simply got tired of MUSTANGS but this would be the answer.

Create a cradle to hold the lower control arms and rack from a FOX body. I will try to find that information in the next few days.

Peruse that FAIRLANE site and see if you can locate a power box. If it was mine, that is what I would do. If you need any help locating one, let me know.

#13 ·
UNUSUAL PS CONVERSION

KULTULZ:

Thanks for the feedback. The FOX mod sounds really nice but it is too radical for my possibilities & knowledge.

I´ll get into that Fairlane site as mentioned.

How can I locate you later on if I find I have to accept your offer of help for locating a PS box?

Cheers,
Lars

#16 ·
UNUSUAL PS SWAP

Fine! I'll keep it in mind, thanks!

BTW, I went to the sites you suggested (Rod & Customs and Fatman) and learnt a thing or two i didn't know about Mustangs and (maybe) Fairlanes! Extremely nice but as you said, drastic!

The Fairlane site was another story: overwhelming! Going in again with more time to check it over.

Lars

#18 ·
UNUSUAL PS CONVERSION

I agree that Flaming River steering rack could be interesting.
It has probably been used on a Mustang which is much lighter than my GT/A at front if it has the SB, however, I am not worried if it is heavy at slow speeds. What I really want is feel & agility in the steering!

I am sorry but have hardly any knowledge on those cars/engines.

Lars

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.