Unusual S-10 T-5? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2007, 08:56 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Unusual S-10 T-5?

I just bought a 1352-145 S-10 T-5 with a 26 spline input shaft for future placement into my '49 Chevy 1/2 ton, '57 truck 3.90 rear. What gives? I thought they were all 14 spline. I thought I would have to cut the bearing retainer and I won't have to, it's the same length as my '62 tranny!

Do you go into a FLAPS and ask for a clutch and pressure plate for an '85 S-10? Will this fit on a '56 passenger 235 and flywheel? I'm out of my time period here, the 'newest' piece I have on my '49 3100 is a '62 transmission. Thanks for the advice. I did a search but saw no mention of a 26 spline S-10 tranny, I thought they (the 26's) were all Camaro/Bird T-5's.
Attached Images

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2007, 09:26 AM
Certified Lead Foot

Last photo:

You might have the new venture type tranny. What year S10 did it come from? the actual T5's were replaced with the new venture type in 94 and were also behind the 4.3 V6's.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:51 AM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

http://www.5speeds.com/t5/index.html
Old 02-03-2007, 11:12 AM

Last journal entry: V8 suspension added
Last photo:

I've had a couple early S 10 5 speeds and they were 26 spline, I think the 14 splines were in the Camaros.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:21 PM

S10 T5 transmissions had a 1 1/8" 26 spline input in '94 and '95. Those were WC versions, and used a Ford pattern mounting flange instead of the earlier Saginaw / Muncie mounting pattern. Previous years had a 1" 14 spline. The tag number does show it to be an early S truck unit. Possibilities are that it's actually a NWC F body T5 fitted with an S10 tailshaft housing, or it's an S10 housing stuffed with NWC F body parts. If it does have a 1 1/8" 26 spline input, any 10.5 or 11" clutch that will fit your flywheel will work as long as you have the corresponding disk.

Bob
Old 02-03-2007, 12:49 PM

Last journal entry: V8 suspension added
Last photo:

OPPS
I had to go out in the barn to look at them. When I looked up the parts, one place listed a 26 spline and another listed 14 spline.
I have a S10 T-5 14 spline and a GM T10 10 spline, so I guess I need more 'edumacation' myself.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:30 PM

Last photo:

I just turned the input shaft and counted revolutions... 1st was just short of three revolutions, a 2.95 1st gear. OD was 1 input revolution equaled ~1.6 output revolutions, or, 1.0 divided by 1.6 = .625, a .63 5th gear overdrive. Still have to check to see if the speedometer gear is relocated. I just won the T-5 lottery!!
Old 02-08-2007, 12:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo
I just turned the input shaft and counted revolutions... 1st was just short of three revolutions, a 2.95 1st gear. OD was 1 input revolution equaled ~1.6 output revolutions, or, 1.0 divided by 1.6 = .625, a .63 5th gear overdrive. Still have to check to see if the speedometer gear is relocated. I just won the T-5 lottery!!
Check the tag dash number and let us know.

Some T-5s also have a black paint number about 1/2 inch high that is the dash 3 digit number painted on the side of the case.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:05 PM

Last photo:

Well, can't have everything. The speedometer gear needs to be relocated. There's a great tech tip on the INLINER'S site written by the late Jack Halton who was the first I know of to take a Camaro front end T-5 and slap on an S-10 tail shaft/ shift plate combination. I got this one off ebay and as I said the only thing the guy didn't do was to relocate the speedometer gear which is covered in the tech tip I mentioned above. No biggie, I'd be wise to 'go through it' before I seriously thought of using it full time.

I presently have a '62 3sp+od on a '56 235 in my '49 Chevy 1/2 ton. I have a '57 truck 3.90 rear end so .70 (overdrive) X 3.90 = 2.73 final gear ratio in 3rd overdrive. Irun 70-75 mph at a little over 2000 RPMs.

Thanks for all the help folks.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:29 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Well, can't have everything. The speedometer gear needs to be relocated. There's a great tech tip on the INLINER'S site written by the late Jack Halton who was the first I know of to take a Camaro front end T-5 and slap on an S-10 tail shaft/ shift plate combination. I got this one off ebay and as I said the only thing the guy didn't do was to relocate the speedometer gear which is covered in the tech tip I mentioned above. No biggie, I'd be wise to 'go through it' before I seriously thought of using it full time.

I presently have a '62 3sp+od on a '56 235 in my '49 Chevy 1/2 ton. I have a '57 truck 3.90 rear end so .70 (overdrive) X 3.90 = 2.73 final gear ratio in 3rd overdrive. Irun 70-75 mph at a little over 2000 RPMs.

Thanks for all the help folks.
Those old ODs are great. I understand someone is making the new solenoids etc for them, is that correct?
Old 02-08-2007, 07:24 PM

Last photo:

New electrical solenoid for the old OD's? Not to my knowledge; that doesn't mean it ain't happening. Several years ago an old Inliner drew me up a plan to make a "manual solenoid". If you think about it all the solenoid does for this application is to sustain a push on a cam, you then back off the throttle and the cam engages in a slot and you find yourself in overdrive. The solenoids can still be found on ebay and elsewhere, they are all the same... Ford, Chevy, Studes, etc., the *** end of these trannies are all Borg-Warner (overdrives, that is) and they all use the same solenoid, although the older ones are 6V. I don't have the kick down shift, I have mine wired up so that I can split the gears and get a 6 speed out of it, goes like this... 1st reg., 1st overdrive, 2 reg., 2nd overdrive, 3 reg., 3rd overdrive. When people ride with me they just shake their heads. I also rigged a 'reminder light' high on the dash that lights up when the od is on. You do not want to start out in 1st od from a dead stop; this is a somewhat delicate mechanism and you don't want to start out a 3000 lb. vehicle with spring loaded roller bearings, better to use the clutch in the traditional manner.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:11 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
New electrical solenoid for the old OD's? Not to my knowledge; that doesn't mean it ain't happening. Several years ago an old Inliner drew me up a plan to make a "manual solenoid". If you think about it all the solenoid does for this application is to sustain a push on a cam, you then back off the throttle and the cam engages in a slot and you find yourself in overdrive. The solenoids can still be found on ebay and elsewhere, they are all the same... Ford, Chevy, Studes, etc., the *** end of these trannies are all Borg-Warner (overdrives, that is) and they all use the same solenoid, although the older ones are 6V. I don't have the kick down shift, I have mine wired up so that I can split the gears and get a 6 speed out of it, goes like this... 1st reg., 1st overdrive, 2 reg., 2nd overdrive, 3 reg., 3rd overdrive. When people ride with me they just shake their heads. I also rigged a 'reminder light' high on the dash that lights up when the od is on. You do not want to start out in 1st od from a dead stop; this is a somewhat delicate mechanism and you don't want to start out a 3000 lb. vehicle with spring loaded roller bearings, better to use the clutch in the traditional manner.
Most everything I have played with has been the unbreakable T-85 OD behind FE Fords. A friend put one in a deuce with a flathead several years ago. Everything worked.

There were a couple 6 ODs around when I was a kid, and several shoebox cars. My buddy had a Ford Fairlane K Code 289 HIPO with one that his Dad ordered and we raced all year, but the "Ford Experts" say Ford never built one, even though the brochure offered it.

Only problem with the OD is that when coasting there is NO engine braking........ OH ya, and the first gear grinds.

Side note, when I was young most people said OD was bad because it lugged the engine and would ruin it. People with OD smiled and got 4 mpg more.

Newest car I saw with one was a 66 Fairlane, 289. I got the rear end out of it and left the OD because it was the light duty.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:01 AM

Last photo:

"Only problem with the OD is that when coasting there is NO engine braking........ OH ya, and the first gear grinds." Your two part statement is only partially true, I mean both parts are partially true. As you know the Borg-Warner OD is like having two transmissions, you can lock-out the od and have a regular 3 speed with normal clutch braking. This is what I do when I am hauling a load of firewood. Transmission in od you can use 3rd and 2nd gear od as engine braking. You are correct that when coasting there is NO braking. I remember back in the day the adage, "Would you rather replace a transmission or brake shoes?" This was in regard to stopping or slowing down your vehicle.

"... OH ya, and the first gear grinds." Again, true if you don't come to a complete stop as at least my '62 has a non-synchro 1st. I can get around the grinding another way and that is to depress the clutch , shift into 3rd using it's synchros to mesh, then shift into 1st, no grinding.

xntrik, I went into more of an explanation for others as you definitely know these hunks of iron, thank you for your replies, Cosmo.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:16 AM

Last photo:

I always heard that all were non-syncro first.

Best car I saw with one was a 63 1/2 Ford Galaxie slant roof, bench seat, 390 PI, power and AC, with Hurst floor shift, white with light blue interior. My friend ordered it that way from Doenges Bros. Ford in Tulsa.

I met him in 76 and tried for 24 years to buy the car that always sat in his garage. It had 53,000 actual miles on it and looked showroom new inside and out, perfectly maintained. He was meticulous about everything.

After he retired in 2000, I hadn't seen him for a year or so, and went to visit and asked to see "MY car".

He looked at me and said, "OH, I forgot you wanted it. I sold it to somebody in Nebraska (?) for $ 5000."

Last edited by xntrik; 02-09-2007 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:02 AM

Last photo:

Just go ahead and twist the knife that you have buried deep in my back . I think maybe that the guy couldn't bear to see the car around , therefor he sent it out of state, then again you did call this guy a friend. Man, that is a sad story.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.