Up coming shows ? Threads - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders Site Suggestions and Help
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2005, 05:22 AM
Home Built Rods No Rules

Last journal entry: Home Made Sheetmetal bender plans
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Up coming shows ? Threads

Am I missing it I don't see the up coming shows and swap meet forum

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2005, 11:29 AM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

Not sure what to do with that forum. It's non-visible for now. We also have the option of using the calendar. It's also non-visible for now, but here's the link: here. Check it out -- let me know what you think. We could potentially replace the Upcoming Shows forum with the calendar.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:26 PM
Are we having fun yet?

Last photo:

I think the calendar idea is pretty neat.I was about to post our Sunrunners Carne Asada Run #21 for March 19,20 when the site went down for the changes. Will there be enough room to post all of the information on the calendar? I like the changes Jon.

Norm.
Old 02-19-2005, 03:53 AM
Home Built Rods No Rules

Last photo:

Hey Jon,IMO feel its advantagous for the board to have an access for shows and swap meets,either by the calander idea or as it was.Norm has a good thought if there happens to be 2-3 things going on the same weekend or day will it fit on the calander? Just a thought, if you do the calander idea perhaps on have it be on the side or bottom of the main forum page .

Last edited by zonk; 02-19-2005 at 04:14 AM.
Old 02-19-2005, 01:24 PM

We can add many events for a single day, there's unlimited room. A certain amount of events will fit in the little box. After that, a link is placed to see the full list of events. I've just added 6 test events for the 19th of February (today) into the calendar. Go have a look, you'll see how a link is placed there that points to all 6 events. I've also added in a test "ranged" event (an event that goes over a range of days, like a 3-day show, for example). We can also add recurring events. The calendar will probably have to go on its own page, considering it's size, and the fact that it requires us to draw additional information from the database, so we wouldn't want to slow down a major board page. But we can add a little "upcoming event reminder" box somewhere, that shows the events for this week only.

Now that I've done a little experimenting with the calendar, I really like what I see. We'll get back to it after I've completed the list of high-priority adjustments to our new board.
Old 02-19-2005, 04:57 PM
Are we having fun yet?

Last photo:

Jon, I'm sure that I am having a SENIOR moment but where do you click on for the calendar?

Norm.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:04 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

upcoming events

Cool...the season is getting started here and I have some flyers of shows and swap meets I think would be of interest to the guys in the PNW..

OMT
Old 02-20-2005, 11:35 AM

Bud-23 -- here's the link: http://hotrodders.com/forums/calendar.php. I haven't posted the link on the board yet, so the only place you can find it is in this thread.

We can data-mine the entire Hemmings.com event calendar: http://www.hemmings.com/index.cfm/fu...on/events.main , and insert all of those events into our calendar. They bill themselves as the "World's Largest Listing of Car Shows and Other Hobby Events". I have no idea if such a thing is legal though? Are listings of events protected by copyright?
Old 02-20-2005, 12:46 PM
Home Built Rods No Rules

Last photo:

Jon looked at your calender idea looks like a nice setup with all the different monthly views, feel it would be a nice addition to the board
Old 02-20-2005, 08:01 PM
im on a highway to hell

Last journal entry: new wheels and seats
Last photo:

hey jon, i like what you.ve done with the place. i think the calander is a great idea it has a lot of potential.good luck and thanks.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:23 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
Bud-23 -- here's the link: http://hotrodders.com/forums/calendar.php. I haven't posted the link on the board yet, so the only place you can find it is in this thread.

We can data-mine the entire Hemmings.com event calendar: http://www.hemmings.com/index.cfm/fu...on/events.main , and insert all of those events into our calendar. They bill themselves as the "World's Largest Listing of Car Shows and Other Hobby Events". I have no idea if such a thing is legal though? Are listings of events protected by copyright?
I like the look of the calendar. The added link on the board will make it easy. I also like the idea like the Hemmings calendar. Would it be possible to add schedule links to the calendar, such as NHRA, Nascar, major street meets, that type of thing? A link trade may be possible. Maybe you could make a few bucks with some links also, Jegs, Summit, that type of thing? I don't think a sponsored calendar, without popups, would be a bad thing. Dan
Old 02-21-2005, 04:10 PM

It's possible to add every event, hundreds of them per day, to the calendar. It's possible to set up a custom program that will visit hundreds of websites every day, extract all of their event dates, and neatly insert them into our calendar. There are some legal issues involved, and there is a manpower issue -- we would probably need someone devoting 5-10 hours a week to handle the programming, and deflect or deal with the legal objections/implications. Why is no other site doing this already? Either they're not smart enough to know how, or they're not stupid enough to not be afraid to do it.

Right now, I think the best thing for us is to completely avoid all advertising or money influences on the board. I sometimes have guys PM me or email me, telling me that they'd love to donate some money to the board, and I even have to tell them no -- that's not easy! I know a sponsored calendar isn't a big deal, especially if it would give us a good event calendar. But it's a greasy, slippery slope. So now, we have advertisements on other parts of the site to earn revenue, but not on the board or the journals or our other important tech sections.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.