Up grading brakes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2012, 04:14 PM

Last journal entry: Hotrod buick
Wiki Edits: 0

Up grading brakes

Hey hey hey guys looking at turning my 65 buick lesabre 400 in to a hotrod, looking at up grading the brakes, but woking on a budget, 1000 bucks and still need to do a lot of sheet metel work. but need front and rear brakes. any ideals on the brakes.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2012, 01:20 PM

Last photo:

Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldskool88
Hey hey hey guys looking at turning my 65 buick lesabre 400 in to a hotrod, looking at up grading the brakes, but woking on a budget, 1000 bucks and still need to do a lot of sheet metel work. but need front and rear brakes. any ideals on the brakes.
Having been in this hobby for 56 years, and watching the cost of things going up, to be honest with you $1000.00 won't get you far in this hobby. Now I have know idea what you can do yourself or what you have to do too your car, how many tools you have ETC. but just buying materials, if you are doing bodywork, that can eat up your $1000.00 pretty quick.

Bob
Old 02-17-2012, 01:58 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,063 Times in 882 Posts
Oftentimes, using some ingenuity and a little work, you can make the power brakes off another, later model of the same make car work. Measure the bolt holes in the spindle and go looking through some boneyards. Even if you have to fabricate an adapter, you'll be way ahead of the game.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:03 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,235 Times in 1,086 Posts
Funny thing is, your brakes on that Buick have been used to upgrade older cars for years, look at any "traditional" street rod and you will see your Buicks brakes!
I just google imaged the words Buick Drum and got 7 hundred thousand (click here) photos with the first ones I see, pages, of your Buick drums on old hot rods.

Now these old Fords would commonly use the Lincoln backing plates and shoes because they were "self energizing" where the early Fords weren't. But your Buick has the self energizing brakes too.

I know your Buick is a lot bigger and heavier, but honestly, unless you are going to be stopping from some super hot runs at the drags or you are going to be coming down off mountains with your brakes on the whole way, your original Buick brakes will do just fine.

Don't sweat it, have fun and when you get the car on the road and if you find you need more brakes, save up the dough and get them. But the better brakes aren't a MUST have to have a cool car.

By they way, don't tell me you are pulling out that Buick nailhead, please.

Brian
Old 02-17-2012, 03:31 PM

Last photo:

Not sure a '65 LeSabre, though a neat car, could ever be called a "hot rod"...

If you find a later model Buick you can use factory disc brakes.... find a good Buick forum.

Those old drums will bring up to $250.00.......
Old 02-17-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35terraplane
Having been in this hobby for 56 years, and watching the cost of things going up, to be honest with you $1000.00 won't get you far in this hobby. Now I have know idea what you can do yourself or what you have to do too your car, how many tools you have ETC. but just buying materials, if you are doing bodywork, that can eat up your $1000.00 pretty quick.

Bob
I know a 1000 bucks is not a lot the car is running, it needs a half a floor board was going to patch whats needs to be done. I was trying to restore the car and was feeling really overwelmed. So was just turning it into a hot rod but dont relly know where to start. the trunk is really bad.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Funny thing is, your brakes on that Buick have been used to upgrade older cars for years, look at any "traditional" street rod and you will see your Buicks brakes!
I just google imaged the words Buick Drum and got 7 hundred thousand (click here) photos with the first ones I see, pages, of your Buick drums on old hot rods.

Now these old Fords would commonly use the Lincoln backing plates and shoes because they were "self energizing" where the early Fords weren't. But your Buick has the self energizing brakes too.

I know your Buick is a lot bigger and heavier, but honestly, unless you are going to be stopping from some super hot runs at the drags or you are going to be coming down off mountains with your brakes on the whole way, your original Buick brakes will do just fine.

Don't sweat it, have fun and when you get the car on the road and if you find you need more brakes, save up the dough and get them. But the better brakes aren't a MUST have to have a cool car.

By they way, don't tell me you are pulling out that Buick nailhead, please.

Brian
No way man,
Old 02-17-2012, 04:27 PM

Plz look

If you guys don't mind take a look at my project journal, I will be posting more pics of the trunk area I have really cool ideal for it.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:42 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

The brakes on those old Buicks are really not bad. You could easily have the drums turned, get new brake shoes and swap out the master cylinder, and not have a bad braking system at all.
Took a look at your journal, and I'd concentrate on getting the car's floors and body solid first. Then just renew the brake system, not update it.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427
The brakes on those old Buicks are really not bad. You could easily have the drums turned, get new brake shoes and swap out the master cylinder, and not have a bad braking system at all.
Took a look at your journal, and I'd concentrate on getting the car's floors and body solid first. Then just renew the brake system, not update it.
The one problem im having, is that my offset on my rims that i have is wrong, bought it like that, the drums are hitting the inside of the rear rims, the guy cut all the cooling fins off just to get it to fit, thats why I was thinking differnt drums, Im 24 and this is my first major project, i know how to work on them.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:44 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldskool88
The one problem im having, is that my offset on my rims that i have is wrong, bought it like that, the drums are hitting the inside of the rear rims, the guy cut all the cooling fins off just to get it to fit, thats why I was thinking differnt drums, Im 24 and this is my first major project, i know how to work on them.
Yes the drums are expensive but that is the price to pay for cool. The guy ground the fins off. double

If you buy the wrong parts, you fix THAT, you don't do a stupid modification on a good part.

First rule in hot rodding for you, modify the WRONG part to fit, not the other way around.

But if that is all that is wrong with them, run them like that.

Brian
Old 02-17-2012, 09:50 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Replacing the drums with the right Buick drums would be best, but as mentioned they're spendy and hard to find. Another option is to find the cast iron finned drums from another GM Pontiac or Chevy and put them on.
I'd get rid of the rims that don't clear and get either a larger diameter rim, or at least one with correct clearances. It's unfortunate that someone trashed the drums, but now the ball is in your park, and you have to decide if you're going to make it right, or live with it.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:14 PM

Last photo:

My the way I spoke with my brother the Buick expert and he enlightened me on the fact that your 65 Lesabre doesn't have a "Nailhead" in it. It has a 300 small block. Which is also a good motor but not a big block. I had a 65 Skylark (wish I had kept it) with a 300, and a ST300 two speed trans (Buick's version of the Powerglide) and it was a great little car. When the ST300 started slipping I put a TH350 from a 1980 Chevy Malibu (as I remember) they have a "dual pattern" bell housing that bolts to both Chevy and BOP (Buick Olds Pontiac) motors. It bolted right in and worked like a champ.

And I have to say, with that 300 in the big LeSabre I don't think you will have a big need for more brakes.

Brian
Old 02-17-2012, 10:53 PM

Last photo:

Here is a place to get new drums, they are $95 each. (click here)

When you get an old car like this, there is a learning curve about where to get things. Once you get into the "Community" it will blow you away that you had a hard time once to get parts. I have went to a parts store here in town to have them tell me they don't have a part. I got on line found it at the manufacturer with a part number. Called the same parts store and they had it in stock! They have for my 1959 Rambler all the brake parts IN STOCK. We are talking shoes, wheel cylinders, master cylinder, brake light switch, hoses, they had it all in stock! And that is with the weird Wagner brakes. The next year Rambler went to Bendix and those parts are even easier to get and cheaper! The same store has new Bendix wheel cylinders for a 60 Rambler for ten bucks! And this isn't a vintage parts store, we are talking the parts store that services most all the shops in town.

Do your home work, take your time and you will see that there are very few parts are really hard to get. And those that are, you just pay a few more bucks and you have them.

Brian
Old 02-17-2012, 11:37 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

These guys: http://www.scarebird.com/index.php?id=1 will get you there on a budget.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.