Upcoming Paint Trends??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2012, 05:45 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Upcoming Paint Trends???

I started a thread on another site, and got a few clues about what people are thinking of for the future... but most were trends that are already starting. So I will ask you...

1- I am predicting that vintage rods and customs, which have been striving for a fifties look, will next start moving toward basic shiney colors, with some early sixites art.

2- I believe that there is a posibility for more flat finishes... but colors other than black will rise... and some may be done over strong metallics.

3- I think that when there are more new cars around to be seen, builders may embrace the new nearly black factory colors, that feature very strong metallics that really "explode" under direct light! "Masculine" but glamorous too!

4- I am at a loss for new graphic ideas. Skulls, tribals, true-fire are still popular... but eventually something else will catch on with the public. My question is... "What will it be?"

What new thoughts have you had concerning the next popular colors and graphics???

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 06:26 PM

Last photo:

This is my choice. The Merkster paint. I would use the same color.

Youmaylikethis
Old 05-16-2012, 07:32 PM

Last photo:

[QUOTE=studeelover]This is my choice. The Merkster paint. I would use the same color.

Nice! :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0448.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	276.0 KB
ID:	65414  
Old 05-17-2012, 09:44 AM

Last photo:

One thing I have been doing in the last few years is to find new ways of using classic hot rod art.

Flames are one focus, by finding a unique "twist" to add to them, so they are not "generic" any more! I will post some earlier efforts in that direction later, when I get time.

I have a couple recent efforts that I am more excited about... but can't show, because the car owners want to be the first to unveil their new build... but they will be coming soon to a chat group near you! :-)~

So far the close friends of those customers have seemed to really like the ideas. We will see if that continues.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:32 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I think the flat black rods will be getting a cleanup if you will to having some color..There will still be some flat black but as a step to something else..Scallops will make a comeback,,On the customs the shimrin color changes will become more popular in order to set those cars apart...I don't know of anything really new in paint but even some of the lace jobs may become something that is done again..Paneling as well may come back for some guys..The custom painter will be a guy who can prepare custom art work for the owner to look over before the car is painted as well or perhaps an artist will prepare a drawing and paint plan for the painter to follow..

Sam

Sam
Old 05-17-2012, 10:46 AM

Last photo:

On more complicated jobs, I have been doing concept drawings for many years. I found that very often a customer will spend two hours telling you in detail exactly what he wants. Then he will get up and head for the door, and make a comment on the way out that tells you that you did not understand him completely! Panic time!

It's easier to have a drawing and color chips before you start. I still warn them that the picture in their mind may not look exactly like the "real-world" finished product. At least we both know that it will be "close to the "bulls eye"... which usually prepares them to be a little flexible. Doing things this way, I am more likely to hear that comment... "It looks better than I expected". :-) That is much better than hearing them respond to it with..."I didn't think it would look like that"! {:-(
Old 05-18-2012, 07:50 AM
boatbob2

your drawings........

Hi Jay,your the way you draw pictures for your customers,sounds great,how bout posting those drawings here,im sure we would all be interested...
Old 05-18-2012, 08:15 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,219 Times in 1,075 Posts
Very interesting discussion Jay, you know where I think they are going? I think people are getting as tired of flat paint and fake "distressed" paint as I am and good old SHINEY paint will be making a big come back and I can't wait to see it!

Brian
Old 05-18-2012, 08:24 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

flat black

Back when I was a kid the goal was to have a nice shinny metalic paint job. The flat black primer was there to keep some of the rust away as you did the body work and saved enough money to get it finished. . Now we have experts on how to make your paint look old, faded, fake bullet holes.. When I was taking a metal fab-street rod class a few years ago, there were a bunch of 20's year old kids that paid a grand a semester and showed up once in a while and us old retired grandpa's that only had to pay the senior citizen $ 100 no credit-no grade fee, were there every day. .Charley said he would bring in His 45 and make some real bullet holes. , sailors had one tatoo on their arm, If you saw someone with a lot of tatoos you knew the circus was in town.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:32 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbob2
Hi Jay,your the way you draw pictures for your customers,sounds great,how bout posting those drawings here,im sure we would all be interested...
I'll post a couple just to show how it helps to visualize the project finished.

The first pair started as three totally different concepts. Over the years I found that many people have a hard time visualizing ideas from a description. We found three styles of paint he liked, them worked up the drawings to combine three color schemes and three graphic schemes. This guy is very decisive, but can't visualize things from a description. Once he saw the drawings, he made an instant choice, and we combined two ideas for this drawing.

As the work progressed, we shot various color samples, and tossed ideas for names. ('38 Dodge truck + hot rod = "Ram" + "Rod") In the end, it is somewhat different than the drawing... but the same basic scheme. It is pretty bold... but the power is a blown Keith Black Hemi... for the street! ...so the bold scheme fits the truck's personality.

On the helmet, he told me what he visualized, and I did the drawing. He approved it with only a few minor verbal instructions for change.

You can see how it might be a lot better to do drawings than to find out you don't like it after the paint is on! {:-(
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-STAGING.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	65454   Click image for larger version

Name:	dcp_0564.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	255.2 KB
ID:	65455   Click image for larger version

Name:	jays_pics_002.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	65456   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ian 2 (2).jpg
Views:	44
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	65457   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ian 3 (2).jpg
Views:	33
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	65458  

Last edited by TucsonJay; 05-18-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:42 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Very interesting discussion Jay, you know where I think they are going? I think people are getting as tired of flat paint and fake "distressed" paint as I am and good old SHINEY paint will be making a big come back and I can't wait to see it!

Brian
I would agree... especially for the flat black, which is waaaay to common for me.

I have see a recent increase in the "shiny paint" interest. This thread is kind of confirming my own feelings.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:47 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale
Back when I was a kid the goal was to have a nice shinny metalic paint job. The flat black primer was there to keep some of the rust away as you did the body work and saved enough money to get it finished. . Now we have experts on how to make your paint look old, faded, fake bullet holes.. When I was taking a metal fab-street rod class a few years ago, there were a bunch of 20's year old kids that paid a grand a semester and showed up once in a while and us old retired grandpa's that only had to pay the senior citizen $ 100 no credit-no grade fee, were there every day. .Charley said he would bring in His 45 and make some real bullet holes. , sailors had one tatoo on their arm, If you saw someone with a lot of tatoos you knew the circus was in town.
There seems to always be a big difference in thinking and attitude between age groups. Sometimes, when I look at younger people, it scares me to know I was that way once! {:-(
Old 05-18-2012, 10:29 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonJay
I would agree... especially for the flat black, which is waaaay to common for me.

I have see a recent increase in the "shiny paint" interest. This thread is kind of confirming my own feelings.
I am SOOOOO tired of the distressed and flat paint. This is coming from a guy who hated it to begin with so that being said, I am so sick of it I don't ever want to see another one. I LOVE a REAL distressed out of the barn car. But that fake stuff, sorry, it's like fake boobs, I don't get it.

A nice suede paint job is ok, I can dig it, as long as the bodywork is the same bodywork you would do for a shiny top quality paint job. This is me personally, I can still dig a "traditional" hot rod, I get it. But damn it's getting old when every car you see is "unfinished".

I am a show car lover, I LOVE well done stuff built with passion. You just don't see that with your "traditional" hotrods. They look thrown together, they lack in passion.

Cole Foster (one of the premium car builders in the world if you ask me) did this fine example. This truck stopped me in my tracks when I saw it at his shop parked out back, it was his driver. I was more than happy to donate the paint when he repainted it (of course I didn't actually donate it, Sherwin Williams did). But this truck, just scuff it off and shoot a show quality base clear on it without so much as a coat of primer, it is show quality, just with a suede paint on it.

Brian

Old 05-18-2012, 10:31 AM

Last photo:

By the way, I see that Jesse James owns this truck now and has it for sale for $50K.

Brian
Old 05-18-2012, 10:46 AM

Last photo:

Looks like a good example of the metallic + flattened clear I mentioned. At least it is a step up from flat black. {:-(

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.