Update on 507" Cadillac and degreeing cam - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2012, 11:17 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Update on 507" Cadillac and degreeing cam

Just a little update on my 507" Cadillac, also a very good example as to why you should degree your cam if at all possible. I was talking to Glenn Snow at Snow Performance in St. George, Utah, they are going to do the dyno runs on this engine in a month or so. He asked me if I had degreed the cam when I installed it, I said that I didn't have the wheel or dial gauges. Well he graciously announced that he would be enroute to my house after work to perform said ritual "for a beer and gas money".....80 mile round trip mind you.

This hyd. flat tappet cam is an Erson ground for MTS...Maximum Torque Specialties, 230/235 dur., 535 lift on a 112 ICL. After we did the first degree sequence using a calculator to do the math, Glenn looked at me and said "supposed to be 112?, I got 118". I thought Oh chit, so we did it again and got the same reading. Glenn said that this is not unusual but this was a little "out there". So we advanced the crank gear and ended up with 113, did this twice to make sure.

I called Erson cams this morning and talked to one of their old time techs, he was very familiar with the MTS grind and said many variables come into play including the machinist who grinds the cam, the cam and crank gears, the timing set ( I used a Cloyes true roller and it was tight) etc. He said its always advisable to degree the cam....as I re-confirmed that to myself by example. So if you can ....by all means do it!

Anywho here's a few pics with the intake and carb just sitti'n there, need some dyno headers badly to get this thing on the pump. Might try modifying some BBC's, they are pretty close.....and yes, Glenn and his dad are great guys
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2253.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	964.6 KB
ID:	64998   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2259.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	64999   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2260.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	811.0 KB
ID:	65000  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2012, 11:44 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Good story. I tend to doubt the stack up of tolerance got you to exactly 6 degrees off like the tech from Comp was leaning towards, though. Sounds to me like the cam was made that way, either by accident or not, who knows. In any event, good thing you caught this.

The degree wheel he uses is a good one. That deal can be used to turn the engine over which is real handy, plus the additional diameter helps a lot w/accuracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.