update on Gas Monkey Garage scandal - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2006, 03:59 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

update on Gas Monkey Garage scandal

Just an update on the Gas Monkey Garage scandal.

For those of you who have not been kept up to date, please read this discussion thoroughly: Gas Monkey Garage scandal. Please take the time to read the entire discussion.

Furthermore, please take the time to read this discussion: In addition to Gas Monkey thread. In that discussion, certain possible ties between Dodgy Monkey Media and a potentially horrible situation on a children's site are being investigated. I should repeat, as I have many times before: the information we have does not constitute proof. Nevertheless, it is extremely disturbing. I have sent emails to multiple email addresses at Coker Tire to request assistance in investigating this situation. So far, no reply.

Be on the lookout for a user named "starcommander". Through his email address, and through communication with him, I can see that he works at Gas Monkey Garage. While he has not yet made any posts on the board, I have heard that he has been sending PMs to people, apparently looking for information.

I just got off the phone with SEMA. They are well aware of this situation. They tried some basic stall tactics. Voicemail, promises to call back, etc. They wanted to take my personal phone number down. I refused to give it to them, in light of the public remarks made about my personal privacy and safety by Coker Tire, when they thought they could hide behind an anonymous username.

SEMA has referred me to their public relations company. Once again, they tried to get me to hand over my personal information, and stall for time. I told them, quite simply, that all stall tactics will be used to their disadvantage. I will email SEMA member companies about this scandal until we receive a mature and appropriate communication from them. They promised me that I could call back within 50 minutes, and they would speak to me personally. That's 19 minutes from now.

I expect we shall hear some sort of official statement on SEMA's behalf in the near future.

Once again, thanks to all who have supported us, and thanks for having the guts to stick up for your culture.

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2006, 04:08 PM
Blowin' it

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Running again...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Tick tock tick tock, keep us posted Jon.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:11 PM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

get a prepaid cell phone and use that as your contact number, lol

untraceable
Old 09-05-2006, 04:46 PM

I just got off the phone with Dan McCue, of McCue-Freeman, the public relations company that SEMA referred me to.

Dan was the first person I've encountered throughout this entire situation to treat me, and our website, with respect. He listened very carefully while I went over the details of this entire situation.

He said that he will investigate this matter, and that I can call him back tomorrow after 2 PM, and he'll have more information for me.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:51 PM
Music soothes the soul

Last journal entry: Wiring finished finally
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ooo, very interesting Jon. At least you actually got to let someone from SEMA be aware of the situation that happened recently. We can only hope that the news of GMG will spread faster than a wildfire.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:30 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Good luck Jon.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:11 PM

I just got off the phone with Dan McCue of McCue/Freeman, SEMA's public relations company. Once again, I should add that Dan is being extremely cautious, and very respectful. However, it should be noted that he did indeed seem to be nervous. I had sent him a detailed email with numerous links to various parts of this scandal. He indicated that he had reviewed the situation, but he could not confirm that he had examined any specific link or discussion. Also, he wanted very much to discuss the weather, and how much he likes Colorado, the state in which I live. Additionally, he referred to me as "my friend".

He had an "official" statement from SEMA: a single sentence. I was very sure to confirm the exact words with him. Here's the exact text of the statement, communicated to us by SEMA, through their public relations company:

Quote:
SEMA has no plan for a car giveaway at the SEMA show.
Such a statement could mean many, many things. Note the use of the phrase "no plan", and the ambiguity of the phrase "at the SEMA show".

Now, recall the reference to this in the video. Between the 3:11 and 3:17 mark of the original video, immediately following one of Richard's lovely pig-snorts, we hear the following exact statement:

Quote:
We're givin' away a car...for FREE! We're givin' the car away at SEMA. It's where you wanna go. Be there.
In considering SEMA's statement to us, via their public relations company, my interpretation is that this is an indication that SEMA will not be supporting Gas Monkey Garage's "giveaway" at the SEMA show. Thus, they appear to be intentionally distancing themselves from Gas Monkey Garage. We shall see.

I will be requesting additional communication from SEMA, as there are still many unresolved matters. Nevertheless, a clear victory for us. One of many, and certainly not the last.

Congratulations hotrodders . We have now been successful in getting the video removed from the web, and in receiving a communication from SEMA that appears to indicate their desire to discontinue their association with Gas Monkey Garage.

And still, we await a public and genuine apology from Richard Rawlings and Gas Monkey Garage.

Next stop: Discovery Channel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:
genm (05-02-2014)
Old 09-06-2012, 06:15 AM

I bet you feel really stupid don't you? Hahaha enjoy gas monkey garage every mon a ten oh and check out the boys on leno. Pretty slandourous type stuff u are doing here not very hotrodderish. More like tiny penis pissing contest. U actually called places and attemtped to shut his work down? These guys if any of you have met them are really nice guys and love cars... and money like we all do. **** save the bull**** fer yer momma. I really can't wrap my head around why u would think its ok to do what u did. Social networking is what they did and u turned it into some bull****.
The Following User Says Thank You to beefrave For This Useful Post:
E.Furgal (10-09-2012)
Old 09-06-2012, 08:25 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefrave View Post
I bet you feel really stupid don't you? Hahaha enjoy gas monkey garage every mon a ten oh and check out the boys on leno. Pretty slandourous type stuff u are doing here not very hotrodderish. More like tiny penis pissing contest. U actually called places and attemtped to shut his work down? These guys if any of you have met them are really nice guys and love cars... and money like we all do. **** save the bull**** fer yer momma. I really can't wrap my head around why u would think its ok to do what u did. Social networking is what they did and u turned it into some bull****.
You're allowed your opinion, just like anyone else. If you can't "wrap" your head around why everything went down they way it did shows me you're really no smarter than they were at the time. Nice guys? Using a web site to promote their TV show was wrong. We do have guidelines, they are strictly enforced. By canceling these self promoting "nice guys", with their talk of being the anti-Christ of the hot rodding world TLC showed they do have more going on than just making a buck by exploiting people's dreams of fame and easy money. Gimme a break! You really should read through everything went down before you pass judgement this way. Also, read our guidelines, the profanity filter is there fro a reason, your derogatory remarks aren't allowed and you will be here for a very short time if you continue with the wise guy remarks. A true sign of intelligence is expressing one's self without resorting to language such as yours, you have no credibility when you rant like you do.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:57 AM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

BeefRave ;;;;;; where have you been the past 6 years,, this is a OLD and buried Thread,, long ago put to bed,,, This WAS a issue over 6 years ago,, and yes they are the same guys that are back trying to peddle their junk,,, with their "Fast and loud show" get over it,,,,,,,,,
Old 09-06-2012, 09:48 PM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

I watched part of an episode before I realized it was just another fantasy show.It was the part where Richard....I suppose Dick for short offered 'ol dude three grand on an eighty five hundred dollar asking price for a Lincoln. That's where the fantasy part comes into play, 'cause anyone in the real world would have ignored him, or slapped the yellow off his teeth. I rarely watch TV anymore, "reality" shows make me wanna vomit.....
The Following User Says Thank You to BstMech For This Useful Post:
whiteymllr (09-18-2012)
Old 10-08-2012, 11:58 PM

Boo hoo

Wow you must be a big baby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
Just an update on the Gas Monkey Garage scanda
For those of you who have not been kept up to date, please read this discussion thoroughly: Gas Monkey Garage scandal. Please take the time to read the entire discussion.

Furthermore, please take the time to read this discussion: In addition to Gas Monkey thread. In that discussion, certain possible ties between Dodgy Monkey Media and a potentially horrible situation on a children's site are being investigated. I should repeat, as I have many times before: the information we have does not constitute proof. Nevertheless, it is extremely disturbing. I have sent emails to multiple email addresses at Coker Tire to request assistance in investigating this situation. So far, no reply.

Be on the lookout for a user named "starcommander". Through his email address, and through communication with him, I can see that he works at Gas Monkey Garage. While he has not yet made any posts on the board, I have heard that he has been sending PMs to people, apparently looking for information.

I just got off the phone with SEMA. They are well aware of this situation. They tried some basic stall tactics. Voicemail, promises to call back, etc. They wanted to take my personal phone number down. I refused to give it to them, in light of the public remarks made about my personal privacy and safety by Coker Tire, when they thought they could hide behind an anonymous username.

SEMA has referred me to their public relations company. Once again, they tried to get me to hand over my personal information, and stall for time. I told them, quite simply, that all stall tactics will be used to their disadvantage. I will email SEMA member companies about this scandal until we receive a mature and appropriate communication from them. They promised me that I could call back within 50 minutes, and they would speak to me personally. That's 19 minutes from now.

I expect we shall hear some sort of official statement on SEMA's behalf in the near future.

Once again, thanks to all who have supported us, and thanks for having the guts to stick up for your culture.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:07 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Thank you. The more responses we get to this thread, the sooner it turns up on Google. And I would think that's how you found us. Obviously you didn't read the entire threads or you might not be such a fan.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:12 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger View Post
Thank you. The more responses we get to this thread, the sooner it turns up on Google. And I would think that's how you found us. Obviously you didn't read the entire threads or you might not be such a fan.
Must be one of the Gas Monkey gang, why to go to the effort of signing up for one post, then being banned from here.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:33 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by malc View Post
Must be one of the Gas Monkey gang, why to go to the effort of signing up for one post, then being banned from here.
They dont get banned...They just dont have the nads to come back and respond......

Budget RVs
Closed Thread

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.