Hot Rod Forum banner

update on intake swap

3K views 41 replies 15 participants last post by  chevellenut 
#1 ·
Hey eveyone just wanted to let you know i swapped out the torker intake for a preformer RPM today and i have to say so far i love it.I got alot more trottle resonse, ive just got to drive it for a couple miles so far but in the morning im going to get it out and tune every thing in ,might even get rid of the holley carb and put a edelbrock on there. Sorry to bore everyone but i just had to tell someone.So thanks to everyone that answered my questons about them.

#27 ·
Ok guys ive got it better today still got the hesitation though but not as bad.Maybe i need a bigger acc, pump.Maybe drill the holes in there cause the cam is large.Here is the run down on the engine.327 30 over, domed pistons,camle hump heads,roller rockes,preformer RPM intake,heads are ported and polished, hei
dist,and here are the cam specs, INTAKE EXHAUST
255 266
Lobe lift 3600 3560

Lobe sep, 106
This is a solid lifter and cam.Thats about all i know about it folks thats the way it was when i bought it.Im running a 700r4 and 373 gears.
So any ideals ,what size jets would you all start out with in the primary it has 72 in it right know?Hey i just want to think everyone who is taking the time to help me here

#30 ·
Do you know what the intial timing is set at, I'm still concerned about the low vacuum. That is a huge cam for a 327, almost too big. To me it sounds like a miss matched combo from the start. It wont make power till 4500-5000 rpm and will be tough to tune at low rpm's. I would set timing at 16-18 degrees initial, drill the holes in the butterflys (1/8"). You would probably want a 72-74 main jet, 34-36 shooter and start from there. What convertor are you running and what does the engine idle at?
Just some suggestions.

Steve

#33 · (Edited)
timing is set at 14 int,ive had it higher before and didnt seem to help but that was with the other intake it was a single plain torker so i will try that again and go and get me another shooter tommorow and put it in there.Id say some day ill have to change my cam out but i just aint been able to get my self to do it yet.

ill probley never run it over 6 or 6500 and its in a 66 chevelle

#34 ·
What's going to wind up happening here is that you are going to mask the symptom, not fix it. The big problem is that with that cam and head combo, you basically have zero for intake velocity. What this means is is that the air entering the engine is moving very slowly. When you hit the throttle, the shooter dumps fuel into the intake, but because the air movement is so slow the fuel wont atomize. It creates puddles, sorta like if you dump raw fuel into the carb. What you need to do is increase the air velocity into the engine. This may mean a smaller shooter (this wont increase velocity but will atomize better), go to a smaller carb which will get a better signal from the intake, or maybe install a 4 hole spacer which will increase velocity. Remember this is a crutch repair and anything you do to cure a low rpm problem will most likely create a high rpm problem. This is not a carb problem but is a tune up problem created by a mismatch of components. Lets us know how it works out.

Steve

#35 ·
I sure will if i ever get this thing linned out but hey i can drive it know anyways just have to put up with the stumble.I will try the shooter and see if that helps it.The car was used for drag racing before i got it so im slowly trying to get it back to just a good hard running street car.Ive been relutant to replace the cam because i would like to wait to get the money to go back through the hole moter at the same time and with life and bills rolling in every month my passion has to take a back set,but if it takes me to im 80 ill keep pecking along on it.Heck i bet the kids would get a kick out of a 80 year old man doing donuts in the parking lot.

#36 ·
Chevellenut...is that duration you posted @ .050..or advertised ?

the reason I ask, it could be a vac. sec carb..no matter what brand might not work properly on that camshaft.
as far as size 750 is a bit large for a lil 327...or 331 asssuming its .030 over. a 700 mech. secondary might be the ticket...or if a vac. will work a 670CFM would be perfect.

#39 ·
Boy,I don't think you will be happy with it till you get a smaller cam and carb. Your gonna be like a dog chasin his tail tryin to tune it, and a dog crapin peach seeds tryin to drive it,hate to sound discouraging.That is unless you have a big stall converter and a big led foot to go with it!

#40 ·
That cams gotta go.. for a solidflat tappet,ypu need something in the 225-230 range @ .050 & Id consider a big LSA like 112 degrees...lift in the .480@ most
something like that will still go over 6K RPMS
..thats why your holley isnt working...itll never work like that.
Id stil consider either a 700 mech. secondary, or a 670CFM Vac. sec.
Crower has this little solid cam: 230/236 @ .050 112LSA
.458/.468 lift with 1.5 rockers
it may look & sound like small #s but its a small motor. John

#41 ·
Say,I dont know how mild or wild you want it to be,but summit sells cam and lifter sets for 79.95,I put thier 224/234 .465/.488 cam in my freinds 67 comaro 327 with a 600 holley and its an awsome daily driver with some pretty darn good get up and go,nothing I would race,but he even boasts 15/16 mpg.It stays tuned,its reliable and sound good,and its cheep! Ive run this cam in a lot of small blocks for mellow rods and had lots of complements from my custemers,the price is right.

#42 ·
No it has no stall in it and they dont come cheap for a 700r.Im hopping to some day run across a good 5 speed and put in it,its just finding one at the right price when i have the molo.
I would love to be able to get 16 mpg im lucky to get 9 on the highway.With the old 350 trans that was in it it only got six so i was tickled.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.