Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - update on me painting..
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 11:52 PM
two cups of tea

Last wiki edit: Need more horsepower for my 305 Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
how was it feathering? Sometimes an old paint can make an 80 grit scratch appear to be a 40 grit scratch depending on adhesion of that paint. It could also be solvents reacting to the open scratches.At this point, it would be good to get some heat on it to shrink all that primer out. If it was summer it would be perfect to just sit it outside for a while and ensure that both sides get the sun.Then you can revisit it and have another look, but since it's silver it's most likely nothing you can do will help it other than dig back in it. If it wasn't bad and the color wasn't silver you might be able to get away with waiting for that primer to shrink then sand n buff. Probably not gonna work here. I'd hate to say dig in but if that's what you want to do that's what should be done. I'd go back with 80 on a block to primer and this time be mindful of going back over it with 180 to factory paint, and this time your 80 might not be as deep and your 180 scratches will be plenty out of fear, which is good and the right way. Just make sure you let things settle and cure before you sand then reprime and sand with 600, seal, and paint. you probably could get away with just going to the primer but those 80 scratches are still there so why risk it? If you chose to do that just guide coat it when it hits primer and I bet the scratches will sand out, but again, it's a risk if you don't take it that paint
where the problem is.
It feathered good in some spots others..bad.Right now the main problem is the scratches in the metal that the primer won't fill.