Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Update on Streetbeasts lawsuits and George G. Levin
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2010, 01:34 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Claude
...The only mistake I made was a failure to understand the policy of promoting a business...
That was NOT your only mistake. Back in 2006 you were caught attempting to dupe the members of HR.Com by posing as an innocent consumer, praising the attributes of the dna paint line, but failing to identify yourself as having a financial interest in the product. The thread is here. Fortunately our mods caught your tactics.

Another mistake is your failure to recognize the highly beneficial effects of that thread you are demanding to take down. As noted, a one-time poster came on here and said some negative things about your product. But you know what? The folks on this forum are pretty darn savvy. If we see a new poster, someone we do not know or trust, we basically toss their opinions on the big scrap heap of drive-by complainers and little if any attention is paid.

But then you had an even greater gift horse. A couple of rodders we DO know chimed in and gave your product a thumbs up. For most of us here, that put your product in a pretty good light, and at a minimum negated whatever minor effects the op might have had. It was an excellent example of fairness and free speech in action.

Had you then joined in to simply say something like "I'll try my best to contact that user and remedy any potential problem" (as good marketing and pr might do) you would have scored huge points. Instead you chose to come on that thread, break a cardinal rule for blatant advertising and dredge up a situation which had been off the radar for well over a year. As my father-in-law used to say, "you made your own sandwich". And yes, like it or not, business owners ARE treated differently than non business owners on these forums. And the rules are not only fair but spelled out quite clearly on the site. Just ask the dozens of business owners who participate regularly on HR.Com to help hundreds of rodders every day.

As others have noted, you have appeared on this forum less than 10 times in 4 years...and almost always to promote your own product or raise years-old complaints about being mistreated. And in at least one thread you did that product promotion by trying to deceive our readers.

IMHO, the moderators (and Jon) have been more than fair in their treatment of this situation. They have followed the rules in their treatment of everyone involved.

One final suggestion. You might do well to take a course or two in public relations.