Update on vortec & computer - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2011, 04:19 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Update on vortec & computer

Well I took my brand new (less than 500 miles) GM Performance Crate Engine HT383 Vortec to the dealer Preston Hood Chevrolet to find out what was wrong and why the truck wouldn't stay running. I included a typed list of what was new: 383 stroker, fuel pump, fuel tank, distributor, coil, wires, every sensor on the motor etc. They said the new computer was bad, they said they would replace it with a new one. Well $687.00 later they told me my truck was ready and programmed for the old 1995 5.7 that I replaced. I told them it runs like crap. I am seeing black smoke from exhaust(unburned fuel), and slower than the old 5.7 with 250,000 miles on it. Their response was "It wasn't running when you brought it in but it is running now." Then it was that they would not program it for the new motor and if I put a chip in it my warranty on the now as they explain it remanufactured computer would be void. I will never go to a GM Dealer again, Total rip-off.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2011, 04:38 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Live and learn. When I was in tech college in the early 90`s, the goal of each student was to work at a dealership. Anyways, we had this one student he was from Laos. He takes 2 years of college and graduated. We all knew he didn`t have a clue on what he was doing. So, our instructor recommended him to the local chevy dealer. So they hire him.
The first two cars he worked on, he screwed them up so bad both had to have new engines, needless to say they fired him on the spot.
The moral of it is, it`s hard to find a real mechanic anymore.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:56 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

I would take it to an aftermarket garage that specializes in driveability.
Unless you have a scanner that displays data AND codes.
You will need to check for any codes that it may have but also verify the data on the data stream to make sure all the sensors are functioning and that the ecm is actually reading them.
Did you verify proper fuel pressure?
Too high pressure will make it run rich.
So will a fuel leak under the intake.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:20 PM

I am going to wait for the repaired chip from tbichips. Brian there seems to be really conscientious and knowledgeable. I just wish I had NEVER gone to the dealer. An independant garage could never have gotten away with what they did. Live and learn.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:40 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Gotcha, missed the new chip thing there in the earlier post. It would seem logical if you are sure of everything else in the fuel and electronic system is in order.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:19 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdiver1
Well I took my brand new (less than 500 miles) GM Performance Crate Engine HT383 Vortec to the dealer Preston Hood Chevrolet to find out what was wrong and why the truck wouldn't stay running. I included a typed list of what was new: 383 stroker, fuel pump, fuel tank, distributor, coil, wires, every sensor on the motor etc. They said the new computer was bad, they said they would replace it with a new one. Well $687.00 later they told me my truck was ready and programmed for the old 1995 5.7 that I replaced. I told them it runs like crap. I am seeing black smoke from exhaust(unburned fuel), and slower than the old 5.7 with 250,000 miles on it. Their response was "It wasn't running when you brought it in but it is running now." Then it was that they would not program it for the new motor and if I put a chip in it my warranty on the now as they explain it remanufactured computer would be void. I will never go to a GM Dealer again, Total rip-off.
Most dealers and flat rate shops don't want to deal with hot rods, if they sell you the parts; it's in the hopes it works and they won't see you again. There's no surprise in their attitude, when these things have to be fixed it takes a lot of costly time that the customers don't want to pay for.

Bogie
Old 02-08-2011, 06:26 PM

I realize that but nearly 700.00 to make a GM Crate engine run like a yugo is just a plain rip-off. I told them and provided them with a print out of what was in the truck. GM advertizes the motor as a drop in replacement for that "tired old 5.7". They should have said they did not want to make it run like it was supposed to, or been even more honest and said they did not know how to work on a performance motor. Everything except for the chip was GM. Now I know why only a few dealers are authorized to work on the Corvette ZR1. I believe DoubleVision had it correct in his response.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.