updating '46 plymouth front end--subframe?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2005, 10:32 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

updating '46 plymouth front end--subframe??

I am starting to customize a '46 plymouth sedan and want to update or even clip the front end. I want ps pb(discs) and to be able to put a v8 under the hood. Lower if possable and definately try to KEEP IT MOPAR (powerplant wise). I've done the volare clip, heard it worked great, installed easily enough, not happy with it. Once it's in, there isn't a whole lot you can do with it, and in the vehicle I put it in ('56 GMC Pick-up) it handles like crap.

I'm a very low buck guy but don't mind working with old stuff and rebuilding.

Any ideas would be help.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2005, 04:08 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I have heard that the Dodge Dakota clips are pretty good......................

Budget RVs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2005, 07:42 PM
Love your nails! You must be a Libra

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

i was just asked about this by another hotrodder's member and this is what i told him. i'm not subframing, but swapping my frame.

Originally Posted by TWOPLYM
hey man u said u used a dekota frame can u be more specific, i think i need to do the same i have too many fabricated mounts and still need better suspension is frame the same?

A:

you're in for a lot of work if you want to switch frames. my original frame was patched in a couple places and i didn't want to spend a lot of $ on brake and power rack conversions, i figured this would have cost me around $1500. my floor was gone in the car so i figured i'd channel the car and use the dakota frame because it already has disc brakes and a power rack and i was hoping to use the V6 mounts, thinking i could put a smallblock in without any problems, but it won't work with a 360 as there's different mounts. you might be alright with a 318.

anyway, it was a lot of work just taking apart the truck and getting everything off the frame. you wouldn't believe how many little clips and screws and other **** is on a frame. i used a '88 dakota reg. cab long box and the wheelbase was 5" too long. i ended up switching around my front and rear leaf mounts to make the leafs more level AND i had to move everything up 5" AND i put in shorter leafs so I could get the rear leaf mount further ahead so I could shorten the rear frame rails so they would clear the slantback on my car when I channeled it. The rear frame rails are quite high. i also had to make a crossmember for my shocks. i am using the drivetrain from a '79 newport with a 8-1/4" rearend and i wanted to keep the shocks and mounts from the newport so i made the crossmember to work with the newport rear. i've read on the internet that the 6cyl. dakota rearends don't stand up very well.

so that's about everything i know so far. right now i'm getting ready to build the step over the frame for the floor and i've got some body braces made to be welded to the frame. it is a lot of work. i am channeling the car but the frame still has quite a lot of clearance. there is dropped spindles available but they are pretty rare for a '88. if you're going to use a dakota frame go with something newer as there's more upgrades available. that's one thing i don't like is the ride height of the frame. even with my leafs changed and the mounts moved, it still sits quite high.

hope this helps.

later,

JB

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.