Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Upgraded garage accomodations for the new streetrod (pics)
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 05:19 PM
RedRage

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2old2fast View Post
Not trying to be a jerk but I think you need to be told , by cutting your trusses the way you did & not building back in at least some of the strength you removed you've really compromised the integrity of your roof structure. I have nearly 40 years in the remodeling business.
dave
thanks for your comment, i had my truss engineer who designs all my trusses for my houses go over what i did. after alot of thought between both of us i took his 30 years of truss engineering experience and ran with it. i have been building custom homes for over 20 years and have done many truss cutting additions, with input from my engineers and have never had a problem. the top cord carries back to the left almost 10' to help with the load. in theory we did not remove the bottom cord we just raised it 20" and shortened all the webbing boards. it is actually stronger than it was before i began the build...what is missing from the pictures is my additional bracing that was installed with truss plates. everything was framed in before i removed any cords or webs, so that i did not get any kind of sag during construction. i did a very similar coffer job in my buddies garage about 5 years ago. to this day it has not even a hairline crack in his finished ceiling. he has had numerous 2-3 foot snow drift on his roof without any kind of comprimise...

p.s i dont think your a jerk for giving your opionion...ed

Last edited by vettesplus; 04-01-2013 at 05:28 PM.