Upgraded heads what cam choice? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2012, 06:45 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Sick and tired

I come to this forum to read the articles of what younger folks are doing with their cars. This is just for enjoyment! I get sick and tired of people like Ap72 and DoubleVision that can't come on here and express their opinion without taking over a thread with their bickering. Big deal so you don't agree, let the OP read both post and make up his own mind. I sure he will read others post and compare all the information to make a reasonable decision. I guess I am going to have to start going to Club Hotrod forum like techinspector1.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2012, 06:56 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdminter59 View Post
I come to this forum to read the articles of what younger folks are doing with their cars. This is just for enjoyment! I get sick and tired of people like Ap72 and DoubleVision that can't come on here and express their opinion without taking over a thread with their bickering. Big deal so you don't agree, let the OP read both post and make up his own mind. I sure he will read others post and compare all the information to make a reasonable decision. I guess I am going to have to start going to Club Hotrod forum like techinspector1.
Its not bickering, I just called his BS and he affirmed his BS. I'll even go so far to agree that with limited understanding running a smaller carb is easier. If you do want to have performance and street manners, it usually takes more than the "experience" of fiddling around in the garage and a lot of people don't have the time nor effort to put forth into understanding how things work.

If you want a easy simple way out run a smaller carb, if you want headaches then run a big carb and learn how to tune it until it out performs the small one in every way. It isn't an easy thing to figure out and I wouldn't attempt it unless you are REALLY into it.

A smaller carb is easier in a lot of respects and I don't think anyone will argue that.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:12 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

I've never been a fan of the 600 but there's plenty of people that make them work pretty well. If it was me I'd leave the cam and use the 650dp and buy some extra jets for testing.

Run the carb the way it is now to give you a starting spot.Then start going up in secondary jet sizes and see if your MPH goes up. If it gains MPH keep going bigger on the jets till your MPH falls off.

To be honest I doubt you'd tell the difference of the 650 or 750 on the street.In my experience I've had NO change in street manners between the two.

OP never said what RPM he wants to cross the line at... But be careful when gearing the diff. If you run out of gear at half track your ET will suffer.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:15 PM

I don't how a small carb on a big port enhances velocity any more than a clogged up air filter would.
The Following User Says Thank You to hpete For This Useful Post:
ap72 (07-31-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 07:28 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet6t9 View Post
I've never been a fan of the 600 but there's plenty of people that make them work pretty well. If it was me I'd leave the cam and use the 650dp and buy some extra jets for testing.

Run the carb the way it is now to give you a starting spot.Then start going up in secondary jet sizes and see if your MPH goes up. If it gains MPH keep going bigger on the jets till your MPH falls off.

To be honest I doubt you'd tell the difference of the 650 or 750 on the street.In my experience I've had NO change in street manners between the two.

OP never said what RPM he wants to cross the line at... But be careful when gearing the diff. If you run out of gear at half track your ET will suffer.
If you're really after street and track manners he should tune for the track with his PVCR's, NOT his jets. Its a VERY common mistake as track only carbs can get away with it but it turns your street performance to ****. On a dual purpose carb your jets are for cruise, your PVCR's are for WOT.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:09 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

This will surely give me laughs for quite a while. "bickering" I find humourous, just as well as calling my experiences as limited when one has no idea of my back ground or what I've ran. AP, you and I aren't the only ones who disagree, many disagree with you and they all say the same thing, you got a college degree, but you don't have much experience. Simply put and this is the last I have to say about it all is there is no substitute for experience. Since you tend to believe there is then when I see you dominating classes of racing I'll be sure and pay attention and attend your school of automotive knowledge. No harm No foul and no disrespect intended, just stating the truth. My brother is 10 years older than me. He's a professional carpenter and has 30 years under his belt. We live in Auburn, a pure college town, everybody knows of the Auburn Tigers. However, one of the funniest things to him is when a kid fresh out of Auburn University pulls up on the job in there new Ford F250's and try and tell him how to do his job. And sure, while they're plenty smart they have that degree that says they're a master yet they don't have a hour of experience pretty much means one thing which is nobody is going to pay them any attention. What happens on theory, and on paper and in a book is completely different than what happens here in the real world and that just about applies to everything. Like I said, Looking forward to seeing you in victory lane holding up all them shiny trophys then I'll make sure to never disagree with you again.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:05 PM

650 is not a good choice for a dual plane intake IMO.way too small.The velocity is lost in the big heads,not the big carb. I run a 950 and it works.I ran a 650 on a 283,then I upgraded that to a 750 too.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:46 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
If you're really after street and track manners he should tune for the track with his PVCR's, NOT his jets. Its a VERY common mistake as track only carbs can get away with it but it turns your street performance to ****. On a dual purpose carb your jets are for cruise, your PVCR's are for WOT.
Secondary jets are for cruise????? Nevermind... Don't answer that. I wont let you bait me into a arguement..lol

To the OP... I was assuming you were looking for a better ET for a "Mainly Track" car. And yes.. Your secondary jets are not your only tuning spots.Just a place to start when looking for better ET.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:02 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet6t9 View Post
Secondary jets are for cruise????? Nevermind... Don't answer that. I wont let you bait me into a arguement..lol

To the OP... I was assuming you were looking for a better ET for a "Mainly Track" car. And yes.. Your secondary jets are not your only tuning spots.Just a place to start when looking for better ET.
Depending on a few other factors on a mechanical secondaries carb your secondary jets do affect cruise. They can on a vacuum secondary carb too, but usualy only at high speeds unless you're way under carbed or have altered the diaprham spring to come in sooner. That's kind of the whole point of a secondary PV.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:18 AM

Thanks everyone for your infomation!
Old 08-01-2012, 11:23 AM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Most track car's end up with the power valve blocked off sooner or later..One pop out the carb and the valve is done. But that's another conversation and another tuning point.

It's looks to me the OP is trying to tune a track car that run's in the teens. I'm thinking his 650 with some tuning will get it done. Yes there is plenty of ways to tune that carb.

Speaking of tuning... I'll be in Vegas in OCT.. How about you bring your car and tune and looser pay's for gas?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.