upgrading the breaks on my 70 elky - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2008, 07:46 PM
70 El Camino aka FRANKENSTEIN

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

upgrading the breaks on my 70 elky

hey everyone hows it going???

ive been upgrading my front suspension and steering for sometime now (buying parts pay check to pay check). and im done with all that and im ready to buy much stronger bigger better breaks . i figure if you have the power to fly you better be able to stop it right??? lol

so my question is im not sure who to buy from and what to look for. ive done a bit of research and found these calipers http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku and these rotors http://www.ssbrakes.com/brakeproduct.../BigBiteRotors

summit sells the rotors for 110 each. which aint bad comparing to the other drilled and slotted rotors. ive heard that the drilled rotors crack and i have seen them crack but how much breaking makes them crack few dozen stops? 100s of stops? thousands of stop??? or just some real heavy breaking???

i have 15" rims and i wont be getting bigger at anytime. so i cant get 6 piston calipers with a 14" rotor lol.

so would you say my research did me good??? has anyone used theses calipers or rotors??? what about quality of the brand???

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2008, 08:53 PM

If you are running on a tight budget, I'm not sure its worth it to spend that much money on brake upgrades. Those new stainess steel calipers are $410, while two new stock GM calipers would probably be only about $100. Unless you are racing, towing, or doing something else that puts a lot of load on your brakes, you should be able to stay with a well-maintained stock system.

If you buy new Delco calipers (or a quality rebuilt), install high quality brake pads, also rebuild/replace the rear drum brakes, and then bleed the system and install new fluid, I think your brakes will work fine. You won't get any reduction in unsprung weight, but you'll have at least $300-400 more in your pocket.

Bruce
Old 10-06-2008, 10:34 PM

Last photo:

once i rebuild my rear end (which keeps getting put off) ill be goin to the drag track once in awhile for fun with my friends and fam. so i need the break upgrade. i have the power to fly and the rear end (when i build it) to make me launch into orbit lol. well maybe to that fast but i do plan on running 12s so the breaks would be nice
Old 10-07-2008, 02:20 AM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

BRAKES

sorry but it drives me nuts to see the most basic words mis-used or mispelled

i cant help myself at all with thaT

hmmm

i was gonna ask why you have to have such expensive brakes and drilled rotors and such

you are dragging the car ?

good luck!

Last edited by fast68; 10-07-2008 at 02:37 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:05 PM

Last photo:

sorry. . . brakes!!!!

ive always been bad with the same sound different spelling.

yes i will be drag racing but not all the time. it is a mostly street driven car. ive just read that it helps with this that and the other. how about just slotted rotors???
Old 10-09-2008, 10:50 PM
Rebel with a Chevy

If your factory rotors are still in decent shape , keep them. Buy a pair of rebuilt factory calipers with some top of the line pads designed for your factory rotors and you will be good to go. Your only looking at 110 mph in the 12 second bracket . My stock brakes haul my 70 Elky down just fine, not even power boosted , yet. I have all factory power brake system on my 69 that came off of a 71 Monte Carlo . That car will scare you it stops so good . Just make sure all your components are up to snuff and don't worry about spending on trick stuff . Works for me.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.