Upgrading to Halogen Headlamps Question - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2010, 12:23 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

i'm not sure what the purpose of a single relay would accomplish (as posted by vicrod)
all the load is still going thru the headlight switch, the main panel and wiring.

double relays, as posted in 302 Z28's 2nd diagram (the understandable one) has only the control load going thru the switch, dimmer and fuse panel.
the headlight load is carried thru the #10 wire only that is connected to the battery.

i think #10 is a bit overkill and could easily be a #12.
the single relay setup would still overheat the headlite switch

using 2 relays the idea is to mount them on the radiator support or inner fender
you could mount them under dash but it would add more wire and potential voltage drop to the circuit.
with 302 Z28's diagram you could change out the headlight fuse to a 5 amp fuse

ogre

Advertisement

Last edited by ogre; 12-12-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2010, 12:43 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

That was what I was thinking too. I just added relays to my car with H-4 almost exactly like "the understandable one". I used 12 ga wire for the power and the ground. I did not see any rise in wire temp after 2 min testing.

The dimmer switch terminal temp went from 175 deg F in 2 min to ambient. The headlight switch is up under the dash so I couldn't get a good shot at it but it is markedly cooler to the touch. It is still warm due to the resistor for the inst dimmer but not "ouch" hot like it was before the change.

The lights are much brighter now but I still can't get a good focus for both. I think the only solution is to use an OEM reflector of some sort. It will be a major problem to mount it in the original repop buckets. There just is not any suitable mounts to start with.

I'm open to solutions.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:45 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepi
That is the very reason to use a relay .................
Now your saying "two relays do not make the circuit any safer, nor change the function, gains nothing. Yes it uses more parts and wire, that is all." OK, I'm confused!
Old 12-12-2010, 01:02 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

I think the 2 relay system is better (safer) in that if one drives the high beam and the other drives the low beam you will still have one beam set operational if the other fails. ie relay fails. This assuming the system is parallel wired.

In the real world adding the relay system means ripping up a lot of wires, at least in my case. All of the wires from the firewall forward are incased, hidden and heat shielded so the entire pile of wires had to be opened up. It would have made no difference one relay or two. The cost of the relays is minimal. I was able to use the trigger wires from the dimmer but I also color matched the new wires to the headlights and used black for grounds as I have done throughout the car. Black is always a ground on this car. In the end material cost was also minimal as I had everything to do the job. My labor to do the job was what was difficult.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:16 PM
life is a ride

Last journal entry: 2014
Last photo:

See attached schematic using (2) relays.
This arrangement has all the load of the headlights passing through the relays and only relay coil and dash light loads passing through the headlight switch and the dimmer switch.

vicrod
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 005 headlight dimmer (2) relays.pdf (248.7 KB, 80 views)
Old 12-12-2010, 06:22 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

headlight upgrade

I need to upgrade the headlights on my antique 22 Ford speedster. the original 3 brush generator won't keep up with the ingition and lights, ( no magneto on this engine), I have modified a 60's ford pickup generator to use the the T gear drive. Has anyone fit the GMC paul's headlite bases to fit in a T electric or 14 style carbide lantern headlights ? I wonder if there is enough space behind the reflector.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:14 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicrod
See attached schematic using (2) relays.
This arrangement has all the load of the headlights passing through the relays and only relay coil and dash light loads passing through the headlight switch and the dimmer switch.

vicrod
my only issue with that dwg is that most of the time your headlite switch is wired into a harness and into a fuse panel. the use of relays and trying to get the most power to your lights would need a wire and fuse off the battery to the relays, independent of the smaller wire and smaller fuse to the switch.

bentwings: good feedback on actual temp readings, before and after, to drive home the point

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.