Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Upgrading Original Bench Seats Support For My 41 Plymouth
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2011, 07:17 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Upgrading Original Bench Seats Support For My 41 Plymouth

This has also been posted on the HAMB but I'm not getting much input. Thanks to silentpoet for the tip on this forum.

I am planning to finish my car as a RestoRod and I'm thinking ahead on how to do the interior. Part of my plan was to use the original bench seat, which I have.

I was talking to a guy Friday at GG Nashville and he said that he was not happy with his seats. He used the original seats in his late 30's Dodge but said that on a long trip they are too soft and not comfortable.

My wife and I both have sciatic nerve issues, along with lower back issues. Therefore, we need FIRM, SUPPORTIVE, seating like you find in most modern european sedans, for example.

I'm aware that folks like Tea's make custom bench seats that have firm foam support, side bolsters, lumbar support etc. (side support is not really an issue here for me) I would like to use the original frames but make them more on par with modern seats, as far as comfort. Since it's a Hot Rod, I don't care if the shape of the seats is a little different but I would like it to look sort of traditional.

So, here are my questions. How can I take the original seat frames and come up with a good, supportive and comfortable bench seat that won't kill us when we are on a long trip?

I assume the coil springs will have to be removed. Has anyone here done it? If so, do you have pictures, instructions or suggestions? Are most upholsterers able to shape and sculpt foam? Do they know how to do it so that it fits ME and doesn't sit like a church pew?

I've searched the archives but was not able to find anything of substance on this subject. Hopefully, this can be a good tech thread.

Thanks for your input.

Rock