Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Upgrading Original Bench Seats Support For My 41 Plymouth
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2012, 03:53 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Today I tried to figure out a way to use my original frames and pad them up with foam. Please review these pictures and tell me if this will work.

I used some crappy 1/2" Chinese plywood that I had on hand to make a pattern and test my idea. I used some 1" sq. tubing to make the top part that hooks onto the seat back frame and I used another piece to provide the bottom. This piece has two holes drilled and tapped into it so that two 1/4" screws can be installed from the rear with some dress up washers to retain the cushion to the frame.

All of this looks like it will work ok to me but I am NOT an upholsterer. I will take this to someone else to finish. The question that jumps out at me regarding the backs is how will they fasten the fabric to the square tubing. Should I weld on some of those little "shark tooth" looking tabs? Or will they just glue it?

The seat bottom will be cut from 3/4" plywood and should be very straightforward. I am assuming I can build the foam up to provide the incline on the seat bottom. Or should I fabricate something that puts the angle in?

Does anyone have any good sources for ordering the foam to build these seats up? Should I just glue the foam to the plywood?

Thanks
Rock
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1390.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	850.4 KB
ID:	63056   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1391.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	63057   Click image for larger version