Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - upholstered bed liner
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2004, 02:00 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Willys,

Have you come up with a design yet for the placement of your hinges. I was thinking about doing the same thing (having the sides fold flat) but if I put the hinges on the inside (sides fold over onto the bottom) then only the left and right sides could fold flat and the two ends would not be able to fold over because of the thickness of the two sides (I hope this makes sense). Also, in order to even get the two sides to fold over, the four corners of the bed could not overlap - they would have to all have to be the "inside" length in order to pass by the end pieces (again, I hope this makes sense if you try to picture a box with 3/4" thick sides trying to fold inward on itself).

So then I thought about putting the hinges on the outside but then I'm right back to my initial problem - the possibility of the metal hinges nicking or scratching the paint.

If you have a solution or two, I'd like to hear about them.

Dewey

Willys,

A couple more questions regarding your design.

Are you planning on just gluing the felt carpet right to the plywood? That sure sounds a lot easier to me than upholstery. It might be a trick getting the corners/edges or the carpet to butt up perfect, but then not that many people are going to see that side of it anyway.

Also, my thinking was that 3/4 ply would start getting pretty heavy, especially for one person to handle. Do you think 5/8" or even 1/2" would present a structural problem?

My plan is to have the liner in when I go on runs or to shows to carry my gear but then to take it out once I reach my destination and flip it upside down, set it on a leg assembly made of pvc pipe (which could be disassembled for easy transport) and have it as a little table to gather around, eat on etc. That is why I want to keep mine as light weight, yet sturdy, as I can.

Dewey

Last edited by cboy; 02-05-2004 at 02:00 PM.