Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - upholstered bed liner
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2004, 03:36 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Willys,

I'm having a bit of trouble picturing the solution. If there are 3/4" risers at each end and the side boards are hinged to the bottom, won't the tips of those risers prevent the side boards from folding down? And even if they can fold down, once they get down won't the end 3/4" of each side board rest on top of the riser and prevent it from laying flat down against the floor - and in turn prevent the end boards from folding over?

(Sorry if I'm missing something here - I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes.)

I've got an even better idea for you at shows. Glue foam insulation to all the inside surfaces, cover the foam with a plastic drop cloth, fill the whole thing with ice - and have the worlds biggest Bud cooler. (Or swimming pool if it's a really hot day)

Dewey

Whoa, wait a minute (coming back after the lightbulb went off). Do you mean the end board sits on TOP of the riser? Then, if you routed out the board and riser and sunk the hinge below the surface I think you are right on the money. It would work that way.

The other option would be to put the sides on risers instead of the ends and then place the hinges at a point just beyond the height of of the end boards when they are folded down. I think that would work too - and you wouldn't have to sink the hinges.

Thanks Willys - you've obviously been mulling this one over for a while.

Last edited by cboy; 02-05-2004 at 03:36 PM.