upholstered bed liner - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2004, 01:12 PM
'58 Longbox Fleetside

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

ABS might be a little better for guys like me with a fleetside truck. Since the wheel tubs are inside the box and all, ABS would work to mould(mold?) a form to the tubs rather than trying to figure out a plywood alternative.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2004, 03:47 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

I decided on a solid, non-fold down, bed - stained and polyurethaned on the inside and padded on the outside with outdoor carpeting. I went out and got all the parts this morning.

One interesting thing I found at the carpet store was rubber edging to cover the butt ends of the carpet cuts. I think it will not only prevent an unsightly joint where the carpet pieces meet on the corners but it will also provide very nice "bumpers" to prevent any nicks or scratches to the paint on the bed.

I ended up using oak veneer plywood - 1/2" on the bottom and 3/4" for the sides and the lid/tonneau cover. I'm going to upholster the lid with Naugahyde over 1/4" or 1/2" foam.

If it turns out I'll post some pics of the construction. If it doesn't turn out...I'll bury it in the back yard and pretend I never wrote this.

Dewey
Old 02-09-2004, 04:08 AM
Acoustic Rock ... for real.

Last journal entry: About Fusible Links
Last photo:

LOL! Looking forward t the pics, Dewey!

How do you plan on locking down the cover???

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
Old 02-09-2004, 08:22 AM

Last photo:

horvath,

Good question. After a lot of mulling and drawing I finally decided to make the lid in two halves - no hinges. Hopefully by making it in two parts it will be a little easier to access when you want to just quick toss something in the back. You don't have to lift up a huge, bulky lid.

While at Menards (this is like a Home Depot for those not in the midwest) I stumbled on a box of Stanley Garage Door parts they had set out on "deep clearance". So I got four chromed garage door handles (the "T" type - WITH KEYED LOCKS) and four inside latch mechanisms - all for $20. My thought at the moment is to use two of these handles on each lid - one on each side near the mid point. To open the back half or front half of the box, just twist the handles and lift off the lid. (Each lid is about 30" x 40")

I'm a little concerned about warpage on the plywood lids so I have a backup plan of putting metal (probably aluminum) tabs along the front and back plywood pieces of the liner near the top edge and then but similar tabs along the front and back underside of the lids. The tabs of the lid would fit just under the tabs on the liner - thus holding the very front edge of the front lid and the very back edge of the back lid in a flat position - and keeping them from flopping up and down. I would then put the "T" handles much closer to each other - very near the center meeting point of the two lids. This design would secure each lid near all four corners rather than just two points near the center.

A third option is to hold the front lid totally in place with just metal rails (like the tab system but along the sides of the bed rather than the front). To install the front lid you would lay it where the back lid normally sits and then slide it forward - so the tabs (rail) on the lid slide just under the tabs (rail) on the side board. The rear lid would then be put in place in the normal fashion using the "T" handle idea. The back lid would then hold the front lid from sliding back and forth. That might be a little cleaner look (fewer handles sticking up in the air.)

Hope this is understandable. I don't have any nice drawings like Willys. But I'll be glad to try to explain it further if need be.

Also, any thoughts on how to improve on this design? I'm going to start making the box today - but still have time to improve on the lid idea.

Dewey
Old 02-12-2004, 10:12 AM

Last photo:

Interesting. I was thinking along similar lines, only left and right halves instead of front and back ... maybe with a slight pitch so water doesn't pool. My concern is how to hinge them and also how to keep water from entering the seam where they meet.

I'm not sure I understand your tabs (rail) design idea, Dewey ... it sounds like something I need to add to my ideas, so further explanation might be helpful to me.

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
Old 02-13-2004, 01:14 PM

Last photo:

horvath,

If you can wait a couple more days I should have some pics to post. I've finished the liner itself, stained and polyurethaned it, and just finished installing the carpet on the outside of it this morning. Tomorrow I'll start on the "lids" and maybe by the end of the weekend I'll have it far enough along to post some "work in progress" shots.

Dewey
Old 02-14-2004, 06:27 PM

Last photo:

I'll be watching to see when you post 'em, Dewey!

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
Old 02-16-2004, 07:47 AM

Last photo:

horvath et al,

Progress IS being made but not quite to the point where pics would be much help yet. Polyurethane applications and drying times have slowed down my schedule...and watching paint dry doesn't make for a very interesting picture.

I'm hoping by tonight (Monday) I'll have something worthwhile in terms of the mechanicals.

Dewey
Old 02-17-2004, 07:55 PM

Last photo:

Here's the "work in progress". Click on my avatar to see the entire series of shots and to read descriptions of each step.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.