Hot Rod Forum banner

Upholstering corners

11K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Max Keith 
#1 ·
I have been working on my new console for my 39 and so far so good but I am having a tough time with these tight radius corners on a flat piece of board.

What is the best way to do a corner so the you don't have any folded over areas ?
Is there a way to cut the fabric before you staple it ?

Anyone have a illustration of how to set it up before stapling it ? The material is Allante vinyl.

Thanks !

#2 ·
corners

The only way to get your fabric to go around corners unfortunately is that you will have pleats on the back side, You can snip the fabric to within about 1/8th inch of the edge, and this will help reduce the bulk of the pleats. Starting at the apex of the corner first, take out a small pie wedged cut in the material, with the tip of the pie wedge approx. 1/8th inch from the edge of your board. Then alternate back and forth from one side to the other using this method. Staple this fabric at least 1/2 inch back from the edge.
Once you have pulled your fabric down, and gotten your corner complete, then go back and staple the material between the cuts and the edge of your board. Then go back and pull your other staples out and trim off the excess.
I have been doing upholstery for several years and this is the only method I have found for removing the pleats.
On the front side of your project, you should not be able to see any pleats around the edge of the corner.
Unfortunately,regardless of the style of vinyl, or any fabric, the fabric will only give in to so much of compound curves, etc.
Try doing a Victorian Wingbacked chair sometime. LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.