Upholstering truck cab walls? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2009, 08:19 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Upholstering truck cab walls?

I've asked an upholsterer I know about this and he has an idea how to do it but isn't quite sure. This link shows what I'm talking about. The walls of the cab especially around the rear window are upholstered. How is this done? How do they upholster around the rear window?

http://www.classictrucks.com/feature.../photo_05.html

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2009, 05:30 AM

Last photo:

u can use thin styofoam board and put some foam padding on then add the leather,vinyl, etc.then attach to the interior
Old 11-26-2009, 07:33 AM
Wanna-be custom upholsterer

Looks like they used closed cell foam over the metal cab as padding and feathered the edges down to the recess for the window. I'd pull the glass and rubber, cover the foam with Leather/vinyl right over the pinch weld area. Trim off excess and reinstall window with new rubber and a very carefull hand. Just my opinion.

Robert
Old 11-26-2009, 08:53 PM

How does the foam attach to the cab? Can you bend compound curves in the foam like around the top corners of the cab?
Old 11-26-2009, 09:01 PM

Last photo:

The foam is attached with glue. I usually 3M glue because they have different grades of adhesion. I have a 56 Ford with the small window and I did my headliner in suede material. I purchased a headliner kit which is ABS plastic and basically snaps into place on the headliner and back cab window. (3 piece kit). Then I sprayed the plastic with 3M glue and attached the thin foam where needed. Simple put the material over that and tuck the access material over the headliner plastic. Using an upholstery knife (plastic tongue depressor looking thing) I pulled back the window rubber and simply slid the material under the rubber. The rubber keeps it tight.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:41 PM

Thanks for the help. I guess the better question is can this be done by your average upholstery shop or is it more likely only going to get done (and look nice) at a high dollar shop?
Old 11-27-2009, 08:49 AM

Last photo:

I did mine by myself. It does help to have an extra set of hands to help out, but I am by no means an upholsterer. It's not that difficult to do.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Yes, you can do this yourself with very good results. You generally do the most difficult areas first,( in this case, the two curved vertical back corners,) and then the large straight areas which are the easiest. The back corners can be done in the vehicle, and the rest can be done as straight panels. On the other hand, you can do the whole thing right in the truck if you want to. If you don't have somebody to help you, really strong magnets will also work. You can also do the whole truck with removable panels. PVC foamboard can be heated and formed to make curved panels. The one piece ABS headliner board is a very good idea. HHR (high heat resistant) top and trim contact adhesive like DAP or 3-M is a must to make sure your work stays put. If you don't have a sprayer, it would be better to brush on spray grade contact adhesive rather than use aerosols, especially for the headliner board.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 11-28-2009 at 03:17 AM.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:08 PM

Hello Dan,

Yes! I was hoping you'd see the post and reply. You helped me with something a couple of years ago so I'd be anxious for your input. Pictures help me a bunch, too.

Jeff
Old 11-28-2009, 07:14 AM
Last photo:

I had a similar area in the rear corners of my 34 coupe. I fabricated removable panels from water board bent to form and glued together. Once they were glued to shape they were smoothed down and voids filed with body filler. Then foam was glued to the form then upholstered. I made a one piece form that went from one side of the cab to the other so it can be removed at will in one piece. Yes it was a little difficult and a bit messy but it was worth it.

Vince
Old 11-28-2009, 09:49 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Here are a couple of pictures of what you are trying to do. I helped the guy that did this off of the bulletin board in e-mails and with phone calls. He attached the foam directly to the wall of the truck and then covered it with Ultraleather. The first pic is just the foam on the wall of the truck. In the second pic you can see where he seamed the Ultraleather to eliminate some of the excess fabric in the corners. He took this truck to a show with 70 cars entered, and won best interior. He had never done any upholstery work before, and did a fabulous job. Check out the 4 pictures in post #7 of this thread, and you can see how he did.CLICK HERE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB190409.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	42234   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB280411.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	42235  

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 11-28-2009 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:10 PM

Thanks, Dan. I'll give it a try. What kind of foam board exactly am I looking for? What thickness? Where do I purchase it?
Old 12-01-2009, 07:26 PM

Last photo:

ac moore, walmart. lowes, home depot or an upholstery shop thin enuff to bend around corners. u can also use liq. nails or construction type cement
Old 12-01-2009, 09:28 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

The foam can be 1/8" or 1/4" closed cell foam. The only brand name I know of is Volara. Glue it either directly to the cab or to PVC foamboard panels with any good quality HHR (high heat resistant) top and trim adhesive like DAP or 3-M. It is very firm and needs to be scuffed on both sides so the contact adhesive will adhere to it. It is available at upholstery supply stores and online.
The PVC foamboard (also known as expanded PVC or closed cell PVC) goes by the brand names Komatex, Sintra, and CelTec and is available online or at most sign shops. I use 3MM thickness, which is slightly less than 1/8". It needs to be heated with an industrial heat gun to be able to form it.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:23 AM
Last photo:

What Dan said and I would add: DO not use rattle can adhesives, especially 3M #77 they will let go when the interior gets hot.

Vince

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.