upholstery cost? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2005, 08:48 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

upholstery cost?

I'm trying to make sure the cheapest way to re-upholster my 78 camaro is by ordering a pre-made upholstery kit. I dont imagen any one can do it for less but just want to make sure.

I'm just looking to do black vinal on the front and back seats. I also thought about just replacing the front seats with race seats but I dont know if they make race seats that fould forward and the seats have to fould forward to let people get in and out of the back seat.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2005, 11:38 PM

Last photo:

Can I ask you to rethink the black vinyl? It's not only very hot in the summer but if you drive the car in the winter it's pretty cold to sit on.Vinyl also has a tendancy to tear at the seams,you'll have to replace the seats in a few years,especially the drivers seat.You should be able to order NOS upholstery that was original to the car in 78.The cost of replacing your interior should cost less that way and you should be able to find someone to put the covers on for a reasonable rate.Or you can pick up a hog ring pliers and a pound of hog rings and do it yourself.I think you'd get alot of "how to" advice here.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:08 AM

Yea my grandfather has done upholstery work before so he knows how to put them on.

On the covers I can find are vinal. Honestly I would be happy with a nice heavy duty black cloth of some sort.

The black part is not optional though.

I was thinking of just replacing the two front seats with a black racing seat but I'm not sure they make any that will fould and allow access to the back seat?

EDIT: I checked and I can get the LT upholstery kit but its more than the vinal? which confuses me.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:55 AM

Last photo:

A cloth and vinyl seat costs more because fabric is usually alot more per yard than a yard of vinyl.Unless you get into a leather look vinyl which is a higher end vinyl. Is the LT kit a cloth and vinyl seat cover? If it is,my bet is you'd be happier with it over a solid vinyl seat cover.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:00 AM

Yea the LT is vinal every ware but where you sit. Where you sit it is cloth.

308+ shiping arg I wish I wasnt so dang poor lol
Old 08-17-2005, 08:47 PM
First name...............Shawn

Last photo:

If their nicer kit is $308 plus shipping and that is a little high for you, i wouldnt bother pricing a custom cover at an upholstery shop. The going rate for getting a properly sewn cover installed is somewhere around $40-$50 per cushion. So if you had two stock buckets and the stock rear bench and provided a professional shop your kit, you should have around $300 or so in getting them put on. A part time "garage" upholstery man might do it cheaper. Take into consideration this is with every seat being in good condition, meaning no foam or spring repair being needed, just putting the new covers on. And buy the covers from a reputable company, otherwise you'll have more money in a crappy set because the upholsterer will have time (=your money) in restitching them. Ive done a few kit jobs, and had a couple that had to be restitched because they didnt fit worth a damn, i dont do kits anymore because of this. If you find a shop/guy to fit the covers for you, ask him if he has a particular brand he likes working with, might save him and you a headache.

EDIT: i just read that your grandpa did upholstery, so i assume he will put them on, so i guess disregard most of the above.....
Old 08-17-2005, 10:56 PM

Yea he dose all his own model a and t upholstry. He usualy just installs the kits for them so can not build them from scratch but should be able to install the ziper back kind like I have with no sweet.

I think I found some racing seats that might work for the front that lean back (so most seats the recline will lean forward a good bit). I will get a link to them they were like 150-180 a pair which I don't think is all bad. I just got to make sure they are not to tall for the car.

Is 36" tall a prity common seat size?

This place has some for 105 each and are not as nice as the other place.
http://www.360carcustoms.com/racingseats.html

Ok these are the seats I'm realy liking. The price is nice too.
http://www.hunsakersports.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=194

Last edited by hcker2000; 08-18-2005 at 12:07 AM.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.